JDM

Properties Of Beeswax Vs. Paraffin?

In which applications and why is one more useful to you than the other?

I'm asking because I haven't used paraffin in leatherworking, and I'm wondering what properties or benefits it has compared to beeswax.

I've used a mixture of beeswax and rosin to wax my linen thread.

I've used a mixture of neatsfoot oil and beeswax as a finish application.

I've read of using paraffin for burnishing edges and various other things, but I don't understand what qualities it provides.

Paraffin has been called bondo for the leather crafter. On difficult edges, I may rub on a generous layer of paraffin and apply a heat gun to have it absorbed. When burnishing, the paraffin will hold down most spots that created bumps before. I rarely use beeswax, paraffin, or glycerin soap bar any more.

I use beeswax on thread for hand sewing. I use paraffin on lace. They do not interchange well for the two, one is sticky, one is slippery.

Aaron

I'll try some paraffin next time I encounter a stubborn edge. When I experimented with vinegaroon I couldn't get the edges burnished nearly as nice as the same untreated leather. The 'roon treatment seemed to change the leather.

Edited by JDM

if the roon has changed the leather, you might have to neutralize it after treatment.

I use beeswax on thread for hand sewing. I use paraffin on lace. They do not interchange well for the two, one is sticky, one is slippery.

Aaron

Can you give some tips on how to use the paraffin and tell us why you use it? Is it just so you get less wear on the lace as you work or does it help the leather even after you are done with it?

One of the best edges I have seen in my work comes from a drum dyed double shoulder. In this case it was a dark brown. The edge looks like a spit shine.

Can you give some tips on how to use the paraffin and tell us why you use it? Is it just so you get less wear on the lace as you work or does it help the leather even after you are done with it?

It is so that the lace will pull in with less stretch and less wear on it. If you pull it in un-lubricated it can look tattered by the time you get the lacing done.

It is so that the lace will pull in with less stretch and less wear on it. If you pull it in un-lubricated it can look tattered by the time you get the lacing done.

So how do you apply it just rub the lace across a block of paraffin on both sides? Melt the paraffin with some mineral oil to make a paste and rub it in?

So how do you apply it just rub the lace across a block of paraffin on both sides? Melt the paraffin with some mineral oil to make a paste and rub it in?

Just pinch the lace between your thumb and the paraffin. Pull the lace through a few times. I often use a white candle.

Just pinch the lace between your thumb and the paraffin. Pull the lace through a few times. I often use a white candle.

Thank You

I created a mixture of parafin and bee's wax (at about 50/50) and I used that for a time on belts and other edges. It did ok with the burnisher on the dremel tool. I'm now using something called Ron's Edge Rub which gives me a much better look I think.

As far as lace, I use Bick 4 on the lace before I use it. That seems to help condition it a lot better than parafin or bee's wax. (I've used both on lace before too).

...but I get better results finishing my edges with beeswax.

"better" how exactly?

The hardness of the beeswax in comparison to paraffin offer me:

1. a better bonding effect; I don't use any glue

2. added rigidness to my edges for added durability

3. better water resistence

4. the amount of shine i'm looking for

The only draw backs I'm aware of is that you can't dye the edge after burnishing (which I don't do), and it is harder to apply (I get around this by warming it with a heat gun before application.

Hope this helps

as an addenendum havin trouble hand stitching thick or hard lea push stitchin awl down into a block of beeswax watch out it'll glide thru quick,i learned this in an old saddle shop in australia many moons ago .

2 hours ago, myrirochemical said:

Paraffin oil is established by the the process of crude oil distillation and it is used for different purposes. It is colorless, odourless and tasteless oil. It is higher molecular weight alkane derivatives.

Exactly. 

I use bees wax for my thread.  I prefer paraffin for my edges after burnishing or edge paint.  Being a petroleum product I believe it creates a better and slicker finish.  It is not as gummy as bee's wax.  I also stick my pricking irons into paraffin when working with thick leather for an easy exit.

The only way you'll know is to try it out.