Wenny

Cleaning A Suede Saddle Seat

Usually I can get suede looking pretty good with just using an eraser and a good brushing, but this seat is giving me some trouble.

There's a dark spot on one corner that might be oil, from a long time ago. The suede is darkened, slicked down, and no amount of brushing brings up the nap. Don't think the usual cornstarch would work on an oil stain this old.

There's also an area near the saddle horn like something was used to remove a stain (and did a great job!) but now it's a lighter color than the rest of the seat.

I seem to remember there's a solvent or something that works for cleaning suede, but I can't remember what it is.

If nothing else, I can use leather dye to darken the seat and hide the stains, but I really like to keep the original look if at all possible. I've attached a pic so y'all can see what I'm dealing with.

post-50544-0-57800200-1397147435_thumb.j

post-50544-0-73084200-1397147447_thumb.j

21 views and no idea, huh?

Well, I got some Lincoln E-Z Suede cleaner, and while it certainly took off dirt, as evidenced by the grubby suds on my wiping cloth, there doesn't seem to be any real change in the stains . I guess they had just been there too long to be affected by the product. Bet it would work fine on fresher stains, though.

At least it doesn't look any worse.

I can't remember who told me about this, but I have had really good luck with it, strange as it seems. I use "Resolve" rug and fabric cleaner that comes in a red spray can. It comes out as a foam. I have had the best luck covering the entire piece of suede so there are no edges. I then use a fairly stiff brush and really work the foam into the leather, paying particular attention to the dirtier/stained areas. Don't be afraid to use it liberally. Work it in until all the foam disappears. Looking at your seat, I fear that the stain is now part of the saddle, but I would definitely give it a try.