Chesh

First Time Bag Ideas

alright, I have been designing a bag and was wanting people's opinions on my design. I have a few drawn ideas and a graph for sizing. Please let me know what you think. I will be using Hermann Oak tooling leather for sturdiness (4-5 oz) and rivets. I am not comfortable with stitching yet and don't have the money for the materials at the moment. Any criticism helps, thank you.

post-51160-0-01648400-1397316504_thumb.j

post-51160-0-69571400-1397316608_thumb.j

post-51160-0-08577300-1397316614_thumb.j

Edited by Chesh

I think this bag looks neat. Here are a few details that you might find useful.

Wherever you have a bend, you want to leave an allowance for the thickness of the leather. Otherwise, you will have an interior less than 1" deep (for example), and things such as rivet holes may not be aligned.

Speaking of rivets, do you plan on sewing this together along with the rivets? If so, then you could have fewer on the back. If this is a design choice, great. Rivets would mostly be needed, strength-wise, at the top corners and perhaps on the belt straps.

Lastly, if the belt straps were loops, like a teacup handle, then when it was being used the person's belt would not be rubbing the joint between the belt strap and the back of the bag. To attach them, you would rivet the top first, then rivet the bottom.

All in all if it's 4-5 oz it should be plenty strong for anything you could fit in it.

Best of luck!

My suggestion would be to make it out of poster board before you do anything else to see how things look and work. You may want to change things afterwards.

I actually already made a smaller scale one, I may make it deeper. I have not learned stitching yet, but intend on making another when I learn. That is my next step. Thank you for the critiques, I will keep it in mind