eby

Tandy Oblong Punch

So I've been wanting an oblong punch for a while, but never quite wanted to spend the money. Tandy had everything on sale this weekend, so I got one of their lower-cost punches on sale for $12. I didn't expect too much, but thought it might get me by for a while. When you buy it the edge has a protective coating that must be peeled off, so you can't see the cutting edge. Here are some pics of what I found when I got it home and got the coating off.

post-51056-0-22028800-1397414252_thumb.j
post-51056-0-30677100-1397414156_thumb.j

Obviously these are going to be returned the next time I'm at Tandy. They are not even possible to sharpen, as the gouges out of the edge and many grind angles would require regrinding the tool down quite a long way. I didn't expect much for $12, but this seems really poor.

Just a word of warning if anyone else is thinking about trying to save a buck. Should have known better; cheap tools are always a bad idea!

post-51056-0-30677100-1397414156_thumb.j

post-51056-0-22028800-1397414252_thumb.j

Wow. I bought that same punch a few years ago and it had the same unpolished edge but none of those nicks! In fact I have 2 different sizes and no nicks from the store.

Now, my larger 1 does have 1 nick where I dropped it a while back but nothing like your photos. Both of might cut just fine from the first.

I recently bought the 1" Pro model and it had no edge whatsoever. It has a hard time punching through 8oz leather! It's on my to-do list to be sharpened.

I've spent the money on Osborne ones, still had to rework them, seems thats the way it is now. Check Bruce Johnson leather, he deals in used tools and they will be ready to use when you get them.

Conduit makes a good punch if you have the tools to do it.