rirakuma

Preparing Deer Bone For Polishing

Hi guys, a friend of mine went hunting the other week and he's coming back with a deer bone for me. I was wondering if anyone here knows how I can prepare the deer bone so that it will be suitable to use for polishing? There's a few online stores that sells these finished but I haven't found any in Australia. I thought about ordering from overseas but I have a feeling it will be a nightmare to get through customs so I hope to prep one up myself. Thank you for viewing and I would appreciate any tips :)

Scrub it clean with with a good soap (sunlight) and a kitchen scrubber. Do not use bleach, but household peroxide can be used. Shaping can be done with woodworking saws, files, and wet/dry abrasives. Boiling bone will weaken it.

Woody

Be sure to protect your lungs when working with any bone or antler, especially if cutting, carving, or sanding the bone. You do not want to breathe that stuff in. Even a dust mask is better than nothing, but a respirator with filters for small organic particulates is better.

Thanks for the reply guys. I hope this isnt a silly question but the polishing bones that I've seen sold online have a waxy finish to them, is this what I should expect after cleaning? I'm really new at this and I thought bones will end up very dry, is there some kind of finishing method to ensure the surface will be smooth and waxy?

Thanks for the reply guys. I hope this isnt a silly question but the polishing bones that I've seen sold online have a waxy finish to them, is this what I should expect after cleaning? I'm really new at this and I thought bones will end up very dry, is there some kind of finishing method to ensure the surface will be smooth and waxy?

I think you are seeing bone that has been stabilized. Epoxy is drawn into all of the crevices with a vacuum chamber. Do s search for "cactus juice" to see how it is done.

I think you are seeing bone that has been stabilized. Epoxy is drawn into all of the crevices with a vacuum chamber. Do s search for "cactus juice" to see how it is done.

Thank you everyone for the tips, never knew the dangers of sanding bones so I will definitely take extra caution :)