I found a Juki LU-563 with table - in working condition (so he said - I haven't seen it in person yet - just photo)

asking price is 800.00 - is that fair? I was hoping to pay around 500.00 but knowing nothing about these

Looking to sew leather belts; leashes; heavy duty vests etc.,

Looking for some guidance.

thanks!!

$800 is a reasonable price if the machine has tight clearances on all the moving parts and is in excellent physical condition. I would want to test it before buying it. Take some leather with when you test it. It's also a good idea to ask the seller what size thread and needles they have for it. I makes no sense to sew 5/16" or 3/8" of leather with #69 thread to test the machine. You would be using #138, which is that machine's limit, at that thickness.

Wiz - thanks for the advice - did not think about brining the leather with me to test (honestly I am real new at this).

I am now also considering a 7yr old Consew 206RB5 with its stock clutch motor for 850.00 and a PFAFF 1545 (dont know how old it is yet or motor or needles etc., ) for 750.00.

They are both in working condition. My question is ....... which should I focus on? The Juki LU-563 I originally inquired about is definitely older - about 20 yrs old and it's been dismounted from its table - so I am considering it less.

With used machines in private sales, it's like a box of chocolates: ya never know whatcher gonna get. If possible, find a friend who understands industrial sewing machines and take him or her with when you go to look at these machines.

Often, the lower the asking price, the more work, and/or parts the machine needs. This is not always the case, which is why you need to bring somebody with who has a better understanding of sewing machines. I'm sure that the last thing you want is to get the deal of a lifetime, only to find that you have to pay somebody else to bring it up to specs.

As for motors, clutch motors are usually long-lived. The clutches are replaceable if worn out. Pulleys can be replaced with smaller ones (and shorter v-belts to match) to reduce the top speed. Down the line you can swap it out for a modern servo motor.

Prices

Consider the overall price, including the cost of upgrading the motor and replacing worn or missing parts. Will your $750 Pfaff end up costing $1000 after improvements and repairs? It might be a little less for the 7 year old Consew. How does this compare with the price of a brand new complete unit, set-up, tested and warrantied?