Bicicouture

Leather Shelf Life?

Hello!

I am going to have a booth at a craft-show this summer and I need to start making some items that will be ready to sell. Usually I make all of my items to order so they dont just sit around. This may seem like an odd question but do leather products have a shelf life? I know leather can crack or harden if it sits. I hand stain all of my products with oil dyes and finish them with atom balm, and I mostly make small bags you can check them out here (www.bicicouture.etsy.com). If I make a few bags and have them sit from now until end of July do you think they will be ok if they are not being used. What do you guys think? I live in Los Angeles, just incase anyone has any comments about the temperature they are in.

LOL I think you just wanted to bring your work to our attention....and that is fine. It looks to me like you do some very good quality work.

My question to you would be.....why would you be selling a product that should be designed for many years of use, if you have doubts about it standing up to a few months of "shelf life" ??

Your only concern really, should be sunlight, . . . and/or salt spray, . . . seeing as where you are.

If your booth is out in the sunlight, you may want to use a finish with a UV blocker (Resolene is one of them), . . . and salt spray will definitely put the hurt to leather goods.

Those would be my secondary concerns, . . . pilferage at outside booths / fairs / shows is my usual first concern.

May God bless,

Dwight

The poster is not referring to her items once she gets to the craft fair, she is asking about the shelf life of a product made in her shop a few months before the fair.

My questions is: What is the difference in making a leather item a few months ahead of time and sitting it on a shelf in your shop unused, vs making one to order and the customer sits it on a shelf for months unused?

For example the bike bag - in my area you can't ride a bike year round so my bike and the bike bag i made myself is currently hanging on the bike rack in my garage where it has been since the end of September. That's several months unused.

Edited by veedub3

After two months of not being moved or handled, leather develops and harbours bacteria called lesipharunious, which will begin to eat away at the leather; slowly, but surely. If you need to make your products ahead of time, just be sure to go through your inventory on a monthly basis and rub the leather with your hand for a few minutes on each piece!

Edited by Matt T

After two months of not being moved or handled, leather develops and harbours bacteria called lesipharunious, which will begin to eat away at the leather; slowly, but surely. If you need to make your products ahead of time, just be sure to go through your inventory on a monthly basis and rub the leather with your had for a few minutes on each piece!

VERY INTERESTING info!!!!!!

LOL I think you just wanted to bring your work to our attention....and that is fine. It looks to me like you do some very good quality work.

My question to you would be.....why would you be selling a product that should be designed for many years of use, if you have doubts about it standing up to a few months of "shelf life" ??

Hi there! Thank you for the compliment. Although I did not write this to bring attention to my work, if I wanted to do that I would have posted it in the "show off" section.

I am not doubting my products as I have had some for 3+ years that I use very often. It was just a thought, and I realize that the question is odd but I am trying to be well prepared for this show. I have never made items that have just sat in my shop without being used, I was wondering if there was any proper care that should be given to the bags every few months or weeks. Thank you for your reply.

The poster is not referring to her items once she gets to the craft fair, she is asking about the shelf life of a product made in her shop a few months before the fair.

My questions is: What is the difference in making a leather item a few months ahead of time and sitting it on a shelf in your shop unused, vs making one to order and the customer sits it on a shelf for months unused?

For example the bike bag - in my area you can't ride a bike year round so my bike and the bike bag i made myself is currently hanging on the bike rack in my garage where it has been since the end of September. That's several months unused.

Thank you for your reply! You make a very good point. I have a few bags that sit in my shop but they are being handled pretty often even if it is just to show someone or for me to look at as a reference when making another bag. I know it was an odd question but I am just trying to be well prepared for the show and try to ask about anything that could possibly go wrong.

After two months of not being moved or handled, leather develops and harbours bacteria called lesipharunious, which will begin to eat away at the leather; slowly, but surely. If you need to make your products ahead of time, just be sure to go through your inventory on a monthly basis and rub the leather with your hand for a few minutes on each piece!

That is very interesting. I can't seem to find any information on the bacteria you mentioned. Does it go by any other name?

That is very interesting. I can't seem to find any information on the bacteria you mentioned. Does it go by any other name?

Yes, it is a sub-species of Boolsheetorium.

Your only concern really, should be sunlight, . . . and/or salt spray, . . . seeing as where you are.

If your booth is out in the sunlight, you may want to use a finish with a UV blocker (Resolene is one of them), . . . and salt spray will definitely put the hurt to leather goods.

Those would be my secondary concerns, . . . pilferage at outside booths / fairs / shows is my usual first concern.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hi Dwight! Thank you for the tips!

LOL "lesipharunious" ??? "Boolsheetorium" ????? Yup, the second one sounds familiar. !

There was a post a couple months ago about stock articles going moldy before being sold. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=52533&hl=%2Bhumidity+%2Bmold#entry335536

I'd be more concerned about improper storage causing problems rather than so-called simple deterioration. Customers need to be careful about how they store their purchases too.

Tom

Tom gives a better more helpful answer to prevent possible mould issues in that link.

From that thread I got that use of Lysterine in your casing fluid and a good oiling after tooling to rehydrate oils in the veg tan should prevent both mould and cracking.

Ps your work looks great and glad to see it even if you were "self promoting"

Matt T:

Are u sharkgirl?

this is one of search hits

answersyahoo.com/questions/index/qid=2007

Edited by stanly