JanC

How To Install Zipper?

Does anyone have a good video or instruction on how to install a zipper? Would like to be able to do a zipper wallet like this (Google images)

makr_zip_slm_wlnt_op_1.jpg

Do I buy zipper tape, pull, and ends? Cut the zipper tape to length and install? Not seeing very many DIYs on the topic...

Thanks =)

Jan;

I would buy a zipper the approximate length and cut it to fit.

The zipper is stitched to the back side of the material during assembly which is inside out and then the pouch is turned right side out.

Glue the zipper in place so it stays there while you stitch it.

I've been trying to find more info on zippers also. I've never used them, but want to make my son his first book bag for school. Any recommendations on what type zippers to use?

I found this site, that I thought you all might find useful. https://www.qualityzipper.com/order/images/ValuableZipperInformation.pdf

Always go overkill on things like zippers. You dont want to get a couple months down the road and realize you should have used a different size.

For a book bag, you will probably be ok to start with a #5 ykk brass zipper. Better yet would probably be a #8. There are decent nylon zippers, ones that self heal etc...... but I just dont trust them on something that is going to get a lot of use. Even the best zippers are still cheap money wise, so no reason not to go with the best. YKK. Just dont buy them from places like Joanns. Look online for seamstress supply houses. Less than half the cost of "store bought".

One last tip with zippers, buy some bottom stops, and get your zippers longer than you actually need them (jacket zippers). From there you can make it the exact length you need even if its not a standard size.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

I am also very interested in making that kind of purse.
But failed twice when installing the zip.

I first fixed the zip with glue (same glue I use to glue leather) before sewing it on the leather.

But I am not satisfied by the result. I Am pretty sure there's a special technic. So if someone can help or has a pictured tutorial: that would be great!!

I found this video: but it doesn't clearly show how to fix it nicely on the curved part of the purse.

Thanks for your help!!

Cut little 1/4 inch slits in the bottom of the zipper tape to facilitate the curve, then fold over any excess into pleats to get it to lie flat. I pin the zipper tape down to a cork board with push pins to get it good and tight, then glue the leather to the zipper tape before sewing. Using this technique, you will need to use a lining to hide the awkwardness of the pleats.

Double stick tape for leather is your friend. Glues and cements are too messy IMO.

Chuck

Chuck,

Is there a specific brand or type that you like best?

Riri zippers are the best on the market, and they have the price tag to prove it. Then again, if you are going to be spending that much to make a book bag, might as well make it the best you can. The cheapest place I have found to buy them are at buckleguy.com.