UKRay

Culture: Two nations divided...

The boiled peanuts aren't only localized to the Carolina, they're popular here too, but are occasionally know as "Goobers". Seems sunflower seeds got left out. They're avaialble plain or salted, and the etiquite for them is to tear the corner off the bag and pour an appropriate amount in the mouth. Once there, they're held between the teeth and the cheek, and are consumed by cracking with the teeth, extracting the kernel, and spitting out the hull with a pronounced "pthfffff".

If you ever make it to Wisconsin, make sure and enjoy a "pop". If you don't have the cash for a pop, just grab a drink out of the bubbler. If you get bored we can always play some fifteen two or some sheep's head. Also, central sands area in Wisconsin is always a good place to find yourself a quality spud launcher.

Ohmygosh... that really brings back memories from the summers I spent in LaCrosse in the Blue Stars. "Bubbler? There are no bubbles coming out of that thing!" :lol:

Kate

Celticleather. Your explanation of the rules of cricket is priceless. Funny thing though is I totally understood. Now for the intricacies of a googley and LBW.

Let's not forget that in test cricket everything Celticleather said happens twice and there's the game

Barra

I actually don't eat baked beans that often, nor lobster. Tourists like 'em though. ;)

Y'know, I'm rather pleased to hear that, Tashabear, baked beans always give me terrible indigestion! Lobster doesn't... ever! Personally, I am extremely partial to a pork pie or a scotch egg. Has anyone ever had a pickled egg? You can buy them in some old fashioned pubs in the UK. they are often eaten with the fingers out of a crisp packet (potato chips). Delicious with a pint of mild or old ale (both dark beers). You must be able to get pickled eggs outside the UK but I have never seen them.

Despite some initial concerns, I may have to give those peanuts/goobers a try... You never know...

Same with the sunflower seeds. I'm quite looking forward to a good solid "pthfffff".

I checked out that Wisconsin bubbler and I would definitely call it a drinking fountain... Wassa Spud launcher?

Brief (and old) humourous (humorus?) interlude:

Two British tourists were driving through Wisconsin. As they approached Oconomowoc, they started arguing about the pronunciation of the town's name. They argued back and forth until they stopped for lunch.

"As they stood at the counter, one British tourist asked the employee, 'Before we order, could you please settle an argument for us? Would you please pronounce where we are . . . very slowly?'

"The employee leaned over the counter and slowly said, 'Burrrr gerrrr Kiiiing.' " :rofl:

The Two Fat Ladies were superb but we now have the Hairy Bikers who ride large motorcycles around the country and cook stuff. I do enjoy their show but thought the TFLs old combo was a lot more fun. Has this show reached the antipodes yet?

I'm not entirely sure that Celticleather's contribution (which I should add is totally accurate) is a lot of help when it comes to helping people understanding the rules of cricket - Strangely, I think I have always known the rules of cricket but can't remember why...

I think it is long past time to encourage some ribbing from the Aussies and Kiwis - what do you guys find most amusing about we Pommys (or should that be Pommies?). Perhaps it is our sense of humour (humor):

WELL KNOWN BRITISH FACT: Approximately 80% of the population of Australia and New Zealand actually live in Earl's Court, London... :rofl:

Ohmygosh... that really brings back memories from the summers I spent in LaCrosse in the Blue Stars. "Bubbler? There are no bubbles coming out of that thing!" :lol:

Kate

You guys pronounce it wrong, that's the problem. It's a "bubblah." Wicked pissah...

Y'know, I'm rather pleased to hear that, Tashabear, baked beans always give me terrible indigestion! Lobster doesn't... ever! Personally, I am extremely partial to a pork pie or a scotch egg. Has anyone ever had a pickled egg? You can buy them in some old fashioned pubs in the UK. they are often eaten with the fingers out of a crisp packet (potato chips). Delicious with a pint of mild or old ale (both dark beers). You must be able to get pickled eggs outside the UK but I have never seen them.

Despite some initial concerns, I may have to give those peanuts/goobers a try... You never know...

Same with the sunflower seeds. I'm quite looking forward to a good solid "pthfffff".

I checked out that Wisconsin bubbler and I would definitely call it a drinking fountain... Wassa Spud launcher?

Brief (and old) humourous (humorus?) interlude:

Two British tourists were driving through Wisconsin. As they approached Oconomowoc, they started arguing about the pronunciation of the town's name. They argued back and forth until they stopped for lunch.

"As they stood at the counter, one British tourist asked the employee, 'Before we order, could you please settle an argument for us? Would you please pronounce where we are . . . very slowly?'

"The employee leaned over the counter and slowly said, 'Burrrr gerrrr Kiiiing.' " :rofl:

The Two Fat Ladies were superb but we now have the Hairy Bikers who ride large motorcycles around the country and cook stuff. I do enjoy their show but thought the TFLs old combo was a lot more fun. Has this show reached the antipodes yet?

I'm not entirely sure that Celticleather's contribution (which I should add is totally accurate) is a lot of help when it comes to helping people understanding the rules of cricket - Strangely, I think I have always known the rules of cricket but can't remember why...

I think it is long past time to encourage some ribbing from the Aussies and Kiwis - what do you guys find most amusing about we Pommys (or should that be Pommies?). Perhaps it is our sense of humour (humor):

WELL KNOWN BRITISH FACT: Approximately 80% of the population of Australia and New Zealand actually live in Earl's Court, London... :rofl:

Yes Ray, the TFL was on here several years ago and they made some serious artery clogging food which is why it tasted so good!! You know that anything that tastes nice is bad for your health.

Tony.

If you ever make it to Wisconsin, make sure and enjoy a "pop". If you don't have the cash for a pop, just grab a drink out of the bubbler.

OMG, I did forget 'pop'! 'Pop' is what the elitist yokels here (you know, the ones who feel they have to dress up to go to Walmart) call 'soda'... Sorry, but a soda is 'pop' poured over ice cream in a glass. It's like saying 'lava' is the volcano, rather than lava is the liquid part of the volcano...

Jordan: if there are no fish in the Great Salt Lake, then where do they get 'salt cod'???? huh? huh?

Here in NC, they call everything "Coke". Back up in Massachusetts we call it "Tonic". I still slip and say tonic a lot. Man, do I get quizzical looks

Here in NC, they call everything "Coke". Back up in Massachusetts we call it "Tonic". I still slip and say tonic a lot. Man, do I get quizzical looks

My grandmother called it tonic... I call it soda. ;)

My grandmother called it tonic... I call it soda. ;)

Thanx for the backing me up, but I think you just called me Old at the same time...lol. I guess things change, even in the Commonwealth.

i like the difference between the UK/US and other places. God im glad everyplace/person isnt the same, it would be soooo booring.

Ive been lucky enought to have been to the UK (Southampton, England), France (Calais/Paris) and Trinidad. I want to go back to the Europe and do some sightseeing since all/most of my travels were for work and i didnt have alot of time to to any visitor stuff.

When i was in the UK, i was surprised most of the vehicles were of the same size (width/length), the only longer vehicles i saw were Jags and Lorrys (sp?) and those Lorrys were more or less like our standard UPS truck over here. I can see why the vehicles were smaller due to the narrow streets. One thing i notice too was that when i was at a local mall, everyone parked dead center in the stalls and they werent generous with the stall width either. Of course i didnt and the people next to me had to squeeze between the cars to get in.

i did get to love those "round abouts" one thing i didnt miss is the traffic in london. The M25? beltway did come in handy when we had to drive from Southampton to Dover.

Unfortunately i didnt get to try alot of different foods overthere or go shopping. I did get to try some fish n' chips in one of the local pubs that my co-workers frequented when they were there. i wasnt sure i was going to like the "salt n vinager" on the chips, but it grew on me.

In France, they had "Laite" in a tube. I p/u some to bring home. it was differenct. I wanted to bring more food back to the US, but just came back with 10 kg of chocolate.

i think its really nifty to have the difference since it keeps life interesting. Of course if youre not the adventerous type, you miss out.

Thanx for the backing me up, but I think you just called me Old at the same time...lol. I guess things change, even in the Commonwealth.

:blush: Not on purpose! There are regional differences, even in Mass. I grew up in central Worcester County -- where are you from?

Out of Salem.

Old School Mass.

I lived in Worc for 5 yrs. The NY influence on language was stronger there. They called it Soda too. That was my first exposure to the "outside " world.

My mother's side came from Wales about 1630 ("The Planters"..look it up) My namesakes came from Bantry Bay in Ireland somewhere around 1857. So whatever traditions came about on the North Shore of Boston...I got 'em...LOL

We just call soft drink, "cordial" down here. We also have a syrup which is usually called "water cordial" as you put so much syrup in a glass and then add water. No one ever calls it pop or soda. The only time you'd ask for soda is if you wanted some in your scotch.

Tony.

We just call soft drink, "cordial" down here. We also have a syrup which is usually called "water cordial" as you put so much syrup in a glass and then add water. No one ever calls it pop or soda. The only time you'd ask for soda is if you wanted some in your scotch.

Tony.

So all sweetened carbonated beverages are called cordials in Tasmania? I always thought cordials were alcoholic -- I make them by combining equal parts sugar, vodka, and fruit in a big jar. Leave it on the back of the counter, flip it upside down and rightside up once every day. In 2-4 weeks, you strain and bottle and let it age. Om nom nom.

I have to pipe in on the pop issue. I am from New Jersey - haven't lived there in several years, but you'd not know that to hear me. A non-alcoholic, carbonated beverage is a soda. An ice cream soda is another entity. Pop is what you do to someone when you are annoyed with them (i.e. "I'm gonna pop you!") I went to college at Grove City, near Pittsburgh, PA, and out there soda is called pop. I went 4 years without ever calling it that. I brought my husband (from Ohio) back with me to NJ and informed him he'd better start calling it soda - LOL! (and he did)

My sister went to college in South Carolina (Furman) and said everyone called it Coke - whether it was or not.

I still say soda. Here in Virginia, near several colleges, it's what I hear the most too. I think it's what the locals say too.

And if you really want a good food experience, you have to go to a diner in New Jersey!

So all sweetened carbonated beverages are called cordials in Tasmania? I always thought cordials were alcoholic -- I make them by combining equal parts sugar, vodka, and fruit in a big jar. Leave it on the back of the counter, flip it upside down and rightside up once every day. In 2-4 weeks, you strain and bottle and let it age. Om nom nom.

The alcoholic cordial sounds great. I think many, many,many years ago that was the term. We are usually specific when we want a coke or pepsi though, and just use cordial for any other soft drink.

Must be a Tasmanian thing Tony (that's as far as I'm going with that). In Australia cordial is the flavoured syrup that is added to water and comes in various flavours. Red supposedly send kids round the twist. When I was a kid there didn't seem to be a huge range of commercial branded soft drink choices so just about everything got referred to as coke whether it was or not. we did however have little soft drink companies that would home deliver their particular variety of soft drink. Soda here usually refers to the clear carbonated water used as a mixer for spirits.

I do adapt and change my vocabulary when in the US as I believe that when in Rome, so I call soft drinks Soda and then specify what sort. I am addicted to root beer which is uncommon in Australia. To me the root beer to die for was found in NJ and came from Stewarts root beer stand in Matawan. I'm not sure if Stewarts was a franchise or a one off but OMG was it good. Also in NJ they called Pizza "pie". I'm not sure if this was common or was an older generation thing.

Barra

Must be a Tasmanian thing Tony (that's as far as I'm going with that). In Australia cordial is the flavoured syrup that is added to water and comes in various flavours. Red supposedly send kids round the twist. When I was a kid there didn't seem to be a huge range of commercial branded soft drink choices so just about everything got referred to as coke whether it was or not. we did however have little soft drink companies that would home deliver their particular variety of soft drink. Soda here usually refers to the clear carbonated water used as a mixer for spirits.

I do adapt and change my vocabulary when in the US as I believe that when in Rome, so I call soft drinks Soda and then specify what sort. I am addicted to root beer which is uncommon in Australia. To me the root beer to die for was found in NJ and came from Stewarts root beer stand in Matawan. I'm not sure if Stewarts was a franchise or a one off but OMG was it good. Also in NJ they called Pizza "pie". I'm not sure if this was common or was an older generation thing.

Barra

Root beer is Sarsaparilla isn't it. A lot of people here drink it, I love it! I like to but the syrup and mix it to my taste. I also a Square and Lemon is just beer and sars, god knows where they got that name from! If Root beer and Sars is the same then I love it. Some people aren't so keen and call it Flytox.

Root beer is Sarsaparilla isn't it. A lot of people here drink it, I love it! I like to but the syrup and mix it to my taste. I also a Square and Lemon is just beer and sars, god knows where they got that name from! If Root beer and Sars is the same then I love it. Some people aren't so keen and call it Flytox.

I made a blue there! Sars and lemonade is a "Square and Lemon"

Tony.

I used to think the same thing Tony - sars and root beer being the same thing. To come up with the closest anology I can, root beer in the States is sort of a cross between sars and creaming soda. The most common commercially available brand was A&W.

Barra

I agree with that, in Western Australia all the carbonated stuff is called cool or soft drink unless you ask for something specific like coke or pepsi and cordial is what Barra explained it as. Yes red cordial is nasty stuff I refuse to let my husband and son drink it as it sends them absolutely bonkers. Not many people in WA drink Sars or root beer I remember when they released Dr Pepper here it was an absolute flop and only lasted about 6 months.

Clair

In the UK, cordial tends to be the sort of stuff you mix with alcohol (lime juice or blackcurrant cordial for example). We have fruit squash that is mixed with water. In the main it is fairly unpleasant stuff and the orange flavouring made my son hyperactive for hours - CocaCola did it too.

Rootbeer is pretty scarce over here, but can anyone get bottles of Dandelion and Burdock in their part of the world? I wonder if this is exclusive to the UK?

Edited by UKRay

We were in Australia in 92/93 and couldn't find root beer anywhere, much to my husband's dismay as it is his farvorite. We were told Sasaparilla was the same, but it is not. We thought it tasted like Dr. Pepper. But then we discovered your Gingerbeer and Rod got a new favorite. Not as available over here, but you can find it if you look hard enough.

PS. As a Canadian I have really been enjoying this thread. We get the best (and sometimes the worst) of both worlds. Either way of spelling is correct. We understand most of the jokes that the other side doesn't usually get. And we are pretty fluent converting from metric to imperial because although we are metric, the US isn't and we have to convert for them or they just don't get it... :)