Hi Im Joe

Big A$$ Wallet Instructional

attachicon.gifwallet 2.JPGattachicon.gifwallet1.JPG

well I am working on being a better leather craftsman... I just finished this one

Great job!

I like it too ! stay at it, your there, now its just perfecting yourself. Good job !

thank you all for the nice comments

Lew

well... I love this wallet. I have made 2 more as gifts... including one for my girlfriend to give her dad on fathers day. So now I have someone who wants to buy one.. what would you think a fair price for this type of wallet?

well... I love this wallet. I have made 2 more as gifts... including one for my girlfriend to give her dad on fathers day. So now I have someone who wants to buy one.. what would you think a fair price for this type of wallet?

I'm so glad you love this wallet! I think you can charge what you would normally charge for any wallet. I mean if you look at the market prices for wallets are just all over the place. Pick something you are comfortable with and don't undervalue yourself!

Edited by Hi Im Joe

No problem! Good luck!

Finally made one of these with some large scraps I had. Was interested in seeing the ending size and how it would work out in my pocket. I must say that I surprisingly love the size and will be making another. Going to use a better leather and higher stitch count next time. Hasn't been a post in a while but I had to say thank you for posting this pattern / instructions. Even though this was a "rough" version I thought I would post a picture anyways. I'll be using better leather and a higher stitch count next time.

BigWallet.jpg

One question on finishing edges. The part between where the stitches end around the edge I had a hard time with. Did you you finish them before you stitched it together?

Thank you for taking the time to post some pictures. The wallet looks great!

Yes you can measure out the distances and then pre-finish those areas as they will be hard to get to later.

I swapped over to long wallets, when I realized I could keep a ink pen (cross thinline) in my wallet, but I quickly realized that long wallets don't get as fat and hard to sit on as regular billfolds. Before I switched, I always had to take my wallet out while driving, which led to me forgetting it in the truck quite a bit. Always embarrassing to have to tell the clerk, wait right here while I go get my wallet.

Edited by Colt W Knight

I swapped over to long wallets, when I realized I could keep a ink pen (cross thinline) in my wallet, but I quickly realized that long wallets to get as fat and hard to sit on as regular billfolds. Before I switched, I always had to take my wallet out while driving, which led to me forgetting it in the truck quite a bit. Always embarrassing to have to tell the clerk, wait right here while I go get my wallet.

just add a wallet chain or leather leash

Joe, neat design.

Do you ever glue linings in on your wallets?

Yup! Here is an example...but a traditional bifold. The next time I make this big ass wallet I'll line the inside for sure!

post-50407-0-38786100-1406168991_thumb.j

post-50407-0-08348700-1406169002_thumb.j

Yup! Here is an example...but a traditional bifold. The next time I make this big ass wallet I'll line the inside for sure!

what glue do you use?

what glue do you use?

For this example I used 3m spray adhesive. It works pretty well you just have to pick up the leather and stick it the the lining not the other way around. I found that out the first time the hard way. Once you spray it on the fabric do NOT move the fabric....at all. Just pick up the leather and slap it on top of the fabric.

thanks

I have enjoyed this thread on wallets and some great pics. But I have one question that I have wondered about, what is the best type of fabric for lining a wallet?

Thanks

I used some regular cotton lining from Jo-Ann Fabrics. Eventually I'll buy some nice vintage print stuff like what Barrett Alley does but I wanted to practice on the cheap.

So it was time to make a wallet for myself and I just love this pattern so here it is:

Black and Blue Horween Essex and Lapis Blue leather Big Ass Wallet

post-50407-0-32931900-1411158391_thumb.j

post-50407-0-27366100-1411158397_thumb.j

wow looks great.... I am making them with horween leather also

Looks great! I need to make one o' these for myself!!

Bill

wow looks great.... I am making them with horween leather also

Thank you sir! I've been working hard at my hand stitching. It's at a level that I'm pretty happy with.

Looks great! I need to make one o' these for myself!!

Bill

Thank you! You should definitely make one of these for yourself! Just make sure to post it up in the thread. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Nicely finished Joe !

Can you see your progress clearly every time you post something :thumbsup: