ikewineb

Leather Storage Shelf

So, I'm looking for some ideas. I'm wanting to build a shelf / storage system for leather. Does anyone have any pictures of what they use?

I'm wanting to build a shelf to store the leather flat. I was thinking of adding some side "stations" to it. I was thinking a place to set up a small sewing machine, or the like. I'm thinking of just building it from 2x4 and plywood.

I'm just having touble visualizing it.

Take a look at this thread: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=53478&hl=vault#entry342100

Here is the final product, . . . and I love the way it works. Only takes up a small amount of floor space, . . . I could probably hang 200 sq feet of leather in it.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-94638700-1398550904_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-81741900-1398550924_thumb.jp

I just built a cutting table 60" x 36" out of 2x4s and plywood with the surface at 44" . I made two shelves. The bottom shelf is fixed and the top shelf slides out.

The bottom shelf is for storage of rolled pieces and the top for flat. I keep untrimmed leather rolled and then flat once trimmed.

Cya!

Bob

BDAZ, . . . that is the same size as my new work table. I couldn't put shelves under it, . . . because at both ends and one side, . . . I sit down and slide my poor old tired legs under it.

Not being critical, . . . but I also cannot use your arrangement as I have a ton of sunlight pouring in my south window and door. The leather would be right in the sunlight in my shop.

BUT, . . . FYI, . . . if you have a JoAnn fabric place near you, . . . they have a white poly-something plastic cutting template that is all laid out in 1 inch squares, . . . 36 X 60. The actual piece is a couple inches bigger each way for a border, . . . but if you ever do things needing some kind of quick measuring, . . . it is great.

Plus it is made to be used with rotary cutters, . . . and works fine with a razor knife too. You can go on line get a 40 or 50% off coupon, . . . makes the thing about 25 bucks or so, . . . I cannot buy a better work top for that kind of money. I cleaned up the plywood I had for the top, . . . laid down several strips and a border of 2 inch double sided carpet tape, . . . woo-hoo, . . . works like a champ.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-43704400-1398562152_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

I bought my cutting top at Hancock Fabrics for around $25 and built the table for it. I also purchased 3 yards of black vinyl and stapled it around the sides with the front a single panel which I flip over when I need to retrieve leather.

Works like a champ. I have a 65mm rotary cutter for suede. Great cutting surface!

Cya!

Bob

Okay, that's pretty awesome, Dwight. I think you are right, hanging it looks like the way to go. I might hang mine a little different. I think your idea is better than mine, but it might be more than work than I want to do. I got a wall hanger system from lowes yesterday. I got a rod shelf thing that attaches to it. It has three rods, kind of like a hanging rod in a closet. I I'm going to make hangers with a swivel to hang the leather from those rods. I figured I'd take some fabric and make a curtain to go around it, to keep the sun off of it. Doing the wall hanging system, I can use it to store a lot of other items also. I'll let you know how it comes out once I get it done. Thank you guys for your input!

after talking to bruce johnson, and seeing what he uses, I went out an bout some shelving and concrete form tubes from lowes. slide the tubes in the shelving from the end and slide the leather in the tubes. problem solved.