Pappys Leather

How To Add Fringe To Sheath

I have not put fringe on a knife sheath yet and working on one I want add it. I had the sheath all ready to add the fringe but I think I have an issue. It looks like you have to make the sheath a little wider then normal to allow for the fringe. Is this correct?

Pappy what style of sheath are you making, can you show us a picture? Is it just a veg tan sheath you are stitching fringe into the main seam, or is it a rawhide sheath?

It is veg tanned and sewing into main seam

First off, . . . I cannot take personal credit for this really neat idea.

Some time ago, . . . and at a suggestion of another , . . . I made a rig for cutting fringe, . . . and does it ever work well. I've done 2 pairs of mens chaps, one pair of girl's chaps, and one pair of ladies' chinks, . . . and am thoroughly sold that for me at least, . . . this is the way.

It is piece of plexiglass with several lines made by scribe or scratch with a sharp pointed something or another.

I would use the gusset piece at the knife edge, . . . leaving it long enough to fringe, . . . having it overlapped on both sides by the front/back piece, . . . but that is just my way of doing things. I have also used the front, . . . fringed it, . . . especially for a "native American" look.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-83905300-1398771993_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-00856600-1398772089_thumb.jp