JDM

Dye Linen Thread Black?

I did a test piece using USMC Black leather dye. I dipped the thread in the dye, let dry, waxed and sewed. After using vinegaroon to blacken the leather, the thread is already losing some of its color.

Are there better options for dyeing unwaxed linen thread? I'm using Barbour 5 cord "natural" color thread.

I have a 50 foot front porch, . . . and occasionally have a special dye job needing special color on the thread.

I tie a piece the length of the porch (or as needed), . . . using latex gloves, . . . I saturate a paper towel with the appropriate dye, . . . and simply walk down the thread, . . . squeezing the thread inside the saturated paper towel.

I usually also go back the other way, . . . giving it a second coat.

A few hours later, . . . it's dry, . . . and I've never had any serious problems with that thread, . . . but I don't use linen, . . . so I cannot speak for the material.

But I would think it would be worth a try. And besides that, . . . vinegaroon works mainly because of a chemical reaction between it and the leather, . . . one which probably does not occur with the linen.

May God bless,

Dwight

I did a test piece using USMC Black leather dye. I dipped the thread in the dye, let dry, waxed and sewed. After using vinegaroon to blacken the leather, the thread is already losing some of its color.

Are there better options for dyeing unwaxed linen thread? I'm using Barbour 5 cord "natural" color thread.

Linen thread would probably be best dyed with a cloth dye. I have never done black, but right now I have a jar of royal blue that I dye thread with. When I prepared the dye, I used hot water, and kept adding the dye powder and stirring until it would not dissolve any more.

To dye a batch of thread, I warm up the jar of dye in the microwave, add the thread in loose coils, leaving one end outside of the jar. I then swirl the mixture around in the jar until it is the shade I want, all the time trying to avoid tangling up the thread coils. I swirl a little one direction, and then a little the other. Reading the color is a judgement call since the thread will appear darker when wet, than when it dries. Using a pair of neoprene gloves, I pull the thread out starting with the free end that has remained outside the jar...stripping the excess dye with my fingers. I use a coat hanger bent in the shape of the profile of a spool to wrap the thread on for drying.

Edited by WyomingSlick

I found it best to dye the amount of thread for special projects rather then purchasing small spools of thread. I have 40 small rolls of unwaxed linen thread I keep around.

I use leather dye for dying my thread and cut off a piece and let it soak for a half hour or so while I do other things - wipe the excess off, let dry, and wax.

You can also use clothing dye - just get the RIT cold water dye and mix half an half with distilled water - but since I always half leather dye it's just simpler to use it and no extra bottles either...

Edited by ChuckBurrows

I use leather dye for dying my thread and cut off a piece and let it soak for a half hour or so while I do other things - wipe the excess off, let dry, and wax.

You can also use clothing dye - just get the RIT cold water dye and mix half an half with distilled water - but since I always half leather dye it's just simpler to use it and no extra bottles either...

I just use leather dye as well and let it soak for a while before stripping pff the excess dye and letting it dry. Never had a problem with the dye not taking to good linen thread.

Barbour sells linen thread in black (and brown, I believe). Their dye job is less likely to come off while being used. That said, if dyeing is the way to go, I would use fabric dye as well. My experience with leather dye on linen is miixed.