The Grizzly

Anyone Done Any Hotrod Pinstripe Tooling?

Hi folks. My googling is turning up with very few results for this topic. I'm wondering if anyone here has experimented with tooling a hotrod pinstripe design? Say something like this for instance:

stock-vector-hot-rod-style-pinstripe-830

If so, would you care to post your work and maybe some ideas on how to best tackle something like this?

I've seen one bike seat done using just the swivel knife and decorative cuts. What about actually laying this out with thicker lines, cutting them and beveling them so they stand out? Then painting/dyeing them?

All ideas welcome :).

You could approach it like Celtic knots...I have seen them 'tooled' as wider lines. You just have to figure out which lines are on top and which lines are under and then keep it the same on both sides if it is a 'mirror' image. I cannot think of a particular example of tooled/carved Celtic knots, but I have seen several that looked good.

I thought about using the same tactics for celtic knotwork, thanks! Just wanted to have other folks weigh in and see how they have done them.

The big trick to do here is to be able to cut uniform ! parallel ! lines........and that isn't easy to do well.

Peter Main does it about as well as anyone, as shown in the work of his on these boot tops.

post-13007-0-58339100-1399185118_thumb.j

I believe he uses drafting dividers to lay the parallel lines out with.

Another possibility is to use a beader blade (rather pricey)

The evenness of the lines is absolutely going to be the biggest challenge! I guess I need to just find me a simple design to start with and take a shot :)

You could use some sort of a "beader" (I thinkit is called like this in english) and run it across the cut of the swivel knife. One possibility might be to run over it several times and create the chanel with this tool, or just mark it the cutting line with it and cut it afterwards. The nice side-effect of this tool is the created wider line getting rounded evenly so you just have to bevel/work on the other side of the line.
I used this tool on this sheath (http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=50060&hl=%2Bkingfisher+%2Bsheath) for the upper edge and the parallel lines above the eyes. Workes just fine ;)

Check Paul Cox website he has some really good examples of pinstripe designs on leather seats

I think Xianleather has some as well not sure if they were on his website or his clubchopper thread.

I recieved a pinstriping book and some brushes for Christmas. Plan was to do some striping on my son's hockey goalie mask.

There was a nice bag project with a simple pinstripe line design on here. I haven't tried any striping on leather, but is on my to try list.

I would tackle this with a header blade in a swivel knife

I tried hot rod striping on a bag, but it was the first time and the only time, so I'm not saying I represented it very well. (Also, I hadn't sealed the bag yet, and the edges are terrible, so... yeah...)

post-38542-0-72717100-1403705022_thumb.jpost-38542-0-91923800-1403705021_thumb.j

I did look up a pinstriping design to stitch into an archery arm guard in conjunction with some Celtic knot work. This may not be exactly what your looking for but may be a different approach. post-37888-0-53516600-1403715510_thumb.j

Probably if it were my project, . . . a set of plastic (clear) French curves, . . . and a hand stitch gouger would by my approach.

Figure out which part of the curve to use for which lines, . . . lay out the start and end points for each line beforehand with a pair of dull dividers, . . . use a piece of masking tape at the beginning and the ending of each curve to mark where you start and where you end.

Depending on the size, . . . that shouldn't take too long that way, . . . and following the French curve, . . . it's hard to mess that up if you take your time and really, really pay attention.

Painting in the stitch gouges is kinda tricky, . . . but it would look really nice when it was done. I'd probably use a hypodermic needle and some really thinned down paint, . . . maybe have to do a couple of coats, . . . but just track through the gouge line, . . . emitting a bit of paint as you go.

May God bless,

Dwight

My first thought would be to stitch the pattern with red and white thread. Second thought, a stitch grooving tool run free hand to the pattern. Or I my self would sand blast the pattern using photo resist. It would also be real easy to paint with the resist still on.

David, what's a header blade?

I think a gouge tool would be the way to go. They are adjustable, so you could vary the depth and therefore the width of the lines. Personally, I would simply antique it. I've never used paints though.