A year or so ago I made a post looking for dye that would be suitable for Christmas gear...Santa's helper accessories, etc.

I was told by a few posters that red dye would appear washed out and weak..so I decided on red chrome tanned leather instead, but it wasn't in the weight that I would have liked.

So I gave Feibings RED and GREEN a try this week-end and and I was pleasantly surprised at the results......they are both Christmas-ie enough IMO.

A treatment of Resoline brings up a nice luster as usual.

post-4803-0-25676200-1399288536_thumb.jp

Edited by Rayban

Looks red and green to me. I use these colored dyes sometimes to dye flowers and leaves on carvings and they work ok. I like the tint a little better when I use paint, but that wouldn't work for what you're doing. I think they look good, if possible I would dip dye them, that will make the color more consistent and "deeper".

Chief

I wish I had the facilities to dip dye...especially holsters.

Hi Rayban

I like it when people post dye colors, thanks.

I happen to have a bottle of Feibings red and Angelus red, the Angelus is brighter if you ever need to go more eye popping. Interestingly I purchased some second hand bottles of Feibings and the green, which was kept in the box had turned completely clear! Even Angelus green is fairly fugitive which is just the way of some dye colors.

I mix my dye with Lexol non darkening neats foot oil to get a smoother result as I am not set up to dip dye either. Brown bottle Lexol seems to work too but darkens the leather a little bit more.

Cheers, Toolingaround

I'll make a mental note of the Angleus RED, I'll do a comparison if/when the request comes around again,thanks!

I was pleased with how this basket came out:

22z5gk.jpg25k1kw3.jpg

It really looks more green in real life - phone cam problems. This was with Tandy professional water-stain.

Yes Lee...that sure is Christmas red and green to me.:-)

I made several baskets for Christmas presents but this was the only non-tan color. It looks greener now in a different monitor too - I think I may need to get my laptop screen calibrated lol - I swear last night when I posted this from home it was looking weirdly blue-green - but it's definitely Christmasy in real life.