I bought some root beer extract a few days ago. It came out of the bottle much quicker than expected, so I got a bunch on my fingers. It didn't take long to realize why the dark brown smudges on my hands looked so familiar- it was remarkably like leather antique.

I found myself wondering if, given the mighty colorant concentration, the dark brown color, the consistency, might it be plausible to use root beer or other extracts to stain leather products?

Why? I don't know. The novelty, I guess. It'd smell nice, too. I just thought that before wasting good root beer and good leather, I'd see if anybody here had tried such a thing before, or shall I just commence with the experiments?

I've done dye experiments with turmeric and paprika. They went pretty well. I had to use Alum to mordant the dye and it seemed to work pretty well.

Melted beeswax with turmeric or with the syrup. Interesting to see if it will work .