I just recently finished two 64 oz. (1/2 Gallon) whiskey flask covers for a couple of customers.

post-35776-0-61102200-1399382768_thumb.j

post-35776-0-70747000-1399382787_thumb.j

post-35776-0-83800100-1399382800_thumb.j

Very nice! How do you color your leather so clearly/accurately to get so well defined lines and images?

Very nice! How do you color your leather so clearly/accurately to get so well defined lines and images?

Thanks for the compliment.

On the walleye cover everything except for the fish scales and wood graining is carved and beveled. The fish scales and wood grain were painted. I then painted everything with a small brush and Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint. Everything is sealed with Supershene. The key for me is a real small brush, a lot of light, some head magnifying glasses, and staying out of the whiskey til the project is done!

The wood grain on the whiskey barrell is all put in the leather using one of Tandy's pointed modeling spoons then antiqued with tan antiquing gel.

Clint

While I have seen some pics. of the 64oz flask before, where in the world caan you find them to buy. I love your work, and down here in my little town in S.C. people still love a little sipping whiskey once in a while. Some of us sip a little in the morning and a while in the evening, especially on the creek bank. Really good work and thanks for sharing. Billy P.

While I have seen some pics. of the 64oz flask before, where in the world caan you find them to buy. I love your work, and down here in my little town in S.C. people still love a little sipping whiskey once in a while. Some of us sip a little in the morning and a while in the evening, especially on the creek bank. Really good work and thanks for sharing. Billy P.

Thanks for the compliments.

I've been getting the whiskey flasks through Amazon.com. Googling 64 oz. whiskey flasks comes up with several different suppliers at varying prices.

They are quite the conversation piece. I have sold 5 of them so far and have orders for 2 more.

Clint

Hey Clint, I found them and want to say a big thanks. Gonna order a couple in the next week or so, SS don't give you much to play with, LOL. Billy P.

Man I love those!!

Quick question from a beginner. What glue or cement do you use or do you use any?

Quick question from a beginner. What glue or cement do you use or do you use any?

I don't use any glue on these. I sew a one inch strip of Velcro the full length on the ends and overlap them so the Velcro holds it all together. If you just wrap the leather around the flask and hook the Velcro it is somewhat loose, so I check where the Velcro meets then take the cover back off and over lap another 1/8th inch or so and refasten. I then start the flask into the cover from the top and force it down into the pre-fastened cover giving it a very snug fit.

I make them this way so the flask can be removed for a thorough cleaning when necessary, without getting the cover wet.

Here is the back side of one of my covers.

post-35776-0-03739300-1399756401_thumb.j

post-35776-0-73842600-1399756558_thumb.j

Edited by clintsdivco

Thanks for the reply.

I'd like thank everyone for their compliments. I really appreciate it. I just started doing leather work about 2 1/2 years ago out of boredom in my retirement. I surprise myself every time I finish a project.

Thanks again for all the kind compliments.

Clint