LTC

Edge Finishing Questions, Leather Types...

ok, well i think i have read just about every thread i could find on here regarding edge finishing. including the .pdf from the master of edge finishing himself, Mr. Park. :) (and yes, the entire thread that contains the .pdf)

still, i have some questions.

i've been making wallets for a while now and while i was able to get some decent leather, i think it is chrome tanned and is difficult to get good edges on it. i read in some threads where some folks recommended DuraEdge and others where folks recommended Edge Kote.

--- are these the same thing?

--- if not, does anyone have pics showing what the finished edges of each look like?

--- does one work better than the other?

this would be for chrome tanned leather and i guess any other leather other than veg tan which brings me to my next question.......

i've also read many threads discussing the differences between various leather types. i have quite a bit of veg tan right now that is decent quality, but i've also come across some other types that are quite thin and flimsy...i bought them to use mainly for lining wallets and such. i don't think it would work well to make wallets though, right? (i mean the thin leather)

--- can someone tell me specifically what "case leather" is?

--- how about "dyed through shoulder"?

--- are these both types of veg tanned leather or something else? where is the best place to get these leathers?

--- do the edges burnish nicely or do you have to apply some other substance to them to get the edges nice and shiny?

--- if so, what is the best coating to use to do this and how would the burnishing process differ if using one of these substances?

i searched for several days for answers to these questions, but was unable to find answers. i would be very grateful if anyone could answer these questions for me. i want to make nice, excellent quality wallets but the edges are just kicking my butt. i can finish edges on veg tan leather very nicely, but the better quality leather that looks better for wallets, not so much.

Edited by LTC

Try doing a turned binding instead of a cut edge. I bought some chromexcel and as soon as I tried to burnish it I gave up and started researching how to do a turned binding b/c I knew I would never get that edge how I wanted it.

ok well that is an option also. thank you for that. i will look into that.

I don't think you can burnish Chrome tanned leather. An edge coat or a rolled edge is about the only real choices, from what I understand. I work nearly entirely with Veg. A dyed through shoulder could be veg tanned. Ask whoever you are buying from. Case leather? I assume you are refering to cased leather. Cased leather is veg tanned leather that has been wet and allowed to return to a near natural color. Basically, the moister is in the middle of the leather. This is a step in carving leather, not a type you buy.

The type of leather you use really comes down to what you are wanting to make. I personally wouldn't make a wallet with chrome tanned leather. Not that you can't and that it wouldn't be nice, it's just not really my style of wallet. If I were, I would do as the other member suggested and roll the edge. The easiest, though, if you want a burnished edge on your wallets is to simply get veg tanned leather.

I wonder if you can use one of those heat wand things to "burnish" chrome tanned leather.

Case leather? I assume you are refering to cased leather.

well then you assume wrong. if i meant to say caseD leather, i would have said caseD leather.

i meant "case leather" as in leather used to make cases. i have seen makers refer to "case leather" in several videos, so i didn't know if there is a specific type primarily used for cases or what.

apparently you don't either. :) thanks for the reply anyway.

I wonder if you can use one of those heat wand things to "burnish" chrome tanned leather.

i thought about that but it sounds like the "correct" tool for that is pretty expensive.

i looked at part of the video in the link you sent me. i need to get a skiver that actually works. he's using the same one i have in the video, except his cuts and mine doesn't. going to try repositioning the blade as someone suggested in the other thread where i asked about skivers.

i thought about that but it sounds like the "correct" tool for that is pretty expensive.

i looked at part of the video in the link you sent me. i need to get a skiver that actually works. he's using the same one i have in the video, except his cuts and mine doesn't. going to try repositioning the blade as someone suggested in the other thread where i asked about skivers.

Yeah thats the same skiver I use as well. It takes a very strange motion to get it to work. It's hard to describe. You kind of just have to fiddle with it until it works then try to replicate it. Also you may want to try swapping out the blade.

yeah i will try changing the blade soon. i repositioned it last night and it seemed to work a bit better.

anyone else have any other answers to my long list of questions please? :)

Try doing a turned binding instead of a cut edge. I bought some chromexcel and as soon as I tried to burnish it I gave up and started researching how to do a turned binding b/c I knew I would never get that edge how I wanted it.

I hand skived before for turned edges andf it came out bunched at the edges. May have been too thin or i didn't cut enough stress relief points. Do you thin it to half thickness or feather thin?

The only way to burnish chrome or horween leather is from heat tools. An attachment on a soldering iron can get it done. The real tool if your interested is available on mando.fr for 500+.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150131553076948

He's using the tools from mando.fr on chrome goat skin.

:closed:

Edited by ikewineb

SOME PEOPLE. Wow.

Edited by LTC

:closed:

Edited by ikewineb

Pffffftttt...

Edited by LTC

I'm pretty sure your posts as well as your pm has taught ikewineb everything he would ever want to know about you. Geez man chill out. He was only trying to help you. No one called you an idiot.

Edited by Hi Im Joe

nevermind. it doesn't matter and i don't care.

to others in this thread that have replied without the air of condescension, thanks for taking time to try to answer a couple of my questions POLITELY. thank you.

Edited by LTC

actually he did...twice now. first was by ASSuming i didn't know what it meant to case leather.

and the second time was where he said he ASSumed (AGAIN) that i didn't know what i was talking about when i asked the question...then tried to say i asked what a doggone SHOULDER was when that is not what i asked. i guess he has never heard about adjectives, so he just disregarded the adjectives i put BEFORE "shoulder" when i asked about it.

oh well. it's fine. i don't really care. i'm done with him and he's on my ignore list now so i won't see him assume i don't know what i'm talking about in the future.

Man I've seen you post on a lot of threads. You have a chip on your shoulder the size of a boulder. I'm sorry...but generally people on here have been super helpful and if misunderstandings occur juts let it go.

since we're all playing the "let's-quote-each-other-all-the-time" game now...

Man I've seen you post on a lot of threads. You have a chip on your shoulder the size of a boulder. I'm sorry...but generally people on here have been super helpful and if misunderstandings occur juts let it go.

i have let it go. i'm done dealing with him anymore. :)

also, don't mistake my intolerance for being talked to like i'm a moron as having a "chip on my shoulder". i don't let anyone talk to me like that in real life and i am dang sure not going to let them talk to me like that on here. there's really nothing complicated about that.

Edited by LTC

I bet you have a lot of friends! Good luck man.

i do have quite a few friends. the best part is THEY DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE I'M A MORON! :) and i don't talk to them that way either. if anything, i try to err on the side of thinking they have MORE knowledge than i do. less insulting that way, but whatever.

i'm friends with the people i want to be friends with and not with those i don't. :)

i've been making wallets for a while now and while i was able to get some decent leather, i think it is chrome tanned and is difficult to get good edges on it. i read in some threads where some folks recommended DuraEdge and others where folks recommended Edge Kote. You can't burnish chrome tanned leather. If you can't tell the difference, wet it. If the leather absorbs water, it is veg tanned.

--- are these the same thing? They are similar and intended for veg tanned leather

--- if not, does anyone have pics showing what the finished edges of each look like?

--- does one work better than the other?

this would be for chrome tanned leather and i guess any other leather other than veg tan which brings me to my next question.......

i've also read many threads discussing the differences between various leather types. i have quite a bit of veg tan right now that is decent quality, but i've also come across some other types that are quite thin and flimsy...i bought them to use mainly for lining wallets and such. i don't think it would work well to make wallets though, right? (i mean the thin leather)

--- can someone tell me specifically what "case leather" is? If you mean "leather to make cases", well, it could mean anything. The term is usually used for moistened leather that you intend to carve or stamp.

--- how about "dyed through shoulder"? Means it was dyed all the way through and if you cut it, the center will be colored like the outside.

--- are these both types of veg tanned leather Yes or something else? where is the best place to get these leathers? Our advertisers

--- do the edges burnish nicely or do you have to apply some other substance to them to get the edges nice and shiny? You can burnish veg tan with water if you want.

--- if so, what is the best coating to use to do this and how would the burnishing process differ if using one of these substances? Don't slop the edging on the front of the work.

Consider buying interiors (like Chaylor Fenelli) and using them as templates for your own interiors.
Please stop the antagonistic behavior on the board. People are trying to help answer your questions. Honey gets more flies than vinegar. ~Johanna