GrampaJoel

Grape/black Rein&romal

Ok, here is my first venture into the rein & romal area of braiding.

I know they aren't prefect, but I just had to try a set.

The kangaroo lace I got from Springfield leathers. I sized width and leveled the strings only.

The core is some English bridle leather I had around my shop and it I'd cut 1/8 square for the reins,and 1/8 by 1/4 for the romal( It gives the romal on oval shape instead of round).

The reins are 8 plat and the romal is 12 plat.

White saddle soap was used as the lube.

post-11406-0-22003000-1399750395_thumb.j

Those look very nice. Brad

Nice job. I like the pattern in the braid. Buck

Thanks for the replies, curlyjo and bucksnort.

The pattern in the braid is just a pattern I worked out so it would be different than what I've usually seen.

I'm going to braid another set and it will be more traditional. At least for me.

I do like to do things a little different.

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

Those are very nice. I also like that pattern. I hope to make a set or two of those this summer.

Nice job. Pattern is neat, not so sure about the grape color though. ;)

Thanks rcsaddles & Miss KamiKaze.

It was an learning adventure building this set.

It took me about a month to build them. But, I only worked on them when I had spare time, so I really don't know the actual build time.

Megabit,

The grape color was just some I had left over from another project. I ran out and couldn't get any more, so grape is out for the future. ( although I do have some dark purple). ;)

The flap on the end of the romal is painted with paint I had colored to match the grape. Since it was a learning experience for me I used what I had handy just for fun.

The next set will be more common earth tones.

Joel

Joel,

Those reins look great. Your buttons/loops look well made. How are your fingers holding up?

Ron

Goldshot Ron

Thanks. I worked at making everything match as close as possible. I'll know how they work in a few days with regards to if there are enough buttons and the weight is right. I think they will be close.

My fingers are fine, but my eyes are getting old. Ha ha.

My wife gave me a pair of her magnifying glasses she uses for sewing, and it was much easier to see when making the knots.

So she said I could keep the glasses and I have. :)

Joel

I wonder how the paint on the popper will hold up? I like how you attached the popper with the edge braid, never seen it done like that before. Looks neat.

Megabit, thanks again.

The paint should hold up ok. For a while, At least.

It is the flexible acrylic type of paint. I tried it on a sample and it can take a pretty good bending and such. I suppose it will wear with rubbing or maybe a scratch eventually.

No big deal. This pair will only see use when I want to be noticed. To raise an eyebrow or two. :)

The edge braid ( three pass Mexican round braid) is just like the rest of the set. Just an experiment. I used 8 different types of knots on this set just to see how they worked. Rectangular cores instead of round, regular off the spool from Springfield leather and such.

It was fun.

Joel