dcobranding

Tiger Thread: Is There Seriously Not A Comparable Braided Poly Thread In The United States?

Thanks Joe,

I ordered a sample pack of all the colors they (the China stuff) offer and plan to do a side by side comparison. I don't make any horse tack, so that stretch shouldn't be an issue for me.

Although its nothing like Tiger thread, which I really like using, I've been considering just going exclusively with Mainethread's waxed poly, as its pretty good quality, easy to get, lots of sizes and colors and also that its made in USA.

I love Maine's polycord.

macca - thank you for posting the pictures! i appreciate it very much. i wonder if, after looking at these pictures, the 832 might be o.k. if smaller holes were used. maybe a smaller awl instad of a pricking iron. just thinking out loud.

this brings up another question......if tiger thread (or it's braided equivalent) is used, how do you attach the thread to the needle? surely you can't use the traditional method of piercing the needle and making the loop and then waxing it down, can you?

832 is very small for 10 SPI in all honesty

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to follow up on the chinese/tiger thread comparison.

Here's what I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Sewing-Thread-Waxed-For-Leather-Hand-Stitching-120g-250M-DIY/161008161504?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24192%26meid%3D0ae5e7848204423cbeb7eec8c324f427%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10284%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D151170709384&rt=nc

Here's what arrived

post-1454-0-80419600-1408226752_thumb.jp

Here's the side by side comparison to Tiger thread(right)post-1454-0-20907000-1408226884_thumb.jp

These are both .08 thread, but the chinese thread(left) is flatter so appears wider. It also has less wax so the color is different and it is not as stiff as the Tiger thread. I think this made it a little less forgiving when pulling the stitches, I needed to pay more attention to the consistency of the thread tension, as they would slack a little when sewing the next stitch. The Braid seemed a little looser too. The first time I tried to stitch with it, it was pretty sloppy, because the loose braiding seemed to make it difficult to get a consistent tension.

Here's the two stitched post-1454-0-04174800-1408227509_thumb.jp

This is about 7spi, with John James 002 harness needles and John James awl (smallest I could find). I stitched the Chinese stuff first, then took the picture immediately after stitching the Tiger thread, so that may account for the holes appearing larger on the Tiger(right). The biggest difference in stitching was that I needed to use pliers with the Tiger thread a few times, maybe due to the wax keeping the loop at the eye from squishing through the hole easily.

My initial impression was that the Chinese stuff wasn't as uniform as the Tiger, because of the loose braid and floppiness of it took some getting used to as far as getting consistent stitches. After a few practice stitches it seems to be not so bad. It is pretty cheap and comes in lots of colors, although the shipping took a few weeks. I still think I prefer the Tiger thread, though, as I mentioned before, I think I'm going to start using Maine thread exclusively, even though their thread is not braided, it is still nice, they are close and have any color and size you can think of, plus it may give my own work the appearance of some consistency by using the same materials. Sorry to ramble, I wanted to give as much info as I could so anyone who was considering this as an alternative to Tiger thread would have some idea before spending any money.

Exoticleather, I have tried RoyalWood's thread during my search for a less expensive alternative to Sajou Lin Cable. Unfortunately, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the thread I received. It is not bad, don't get me wrong; but the dyeing job was not 100%, and the thickness of the thread had slight variations. If you have a different experience with it, please let us know.

Exoticleather, I have tried RoyalWood's thread during my search for a less expensive alternative to Sajou Lin Cable. Unfortunately, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the thread I received. It is not bad, don't get me wrong; but the dyeing job was not 100%, and the thickness of the thread had slight variations. If you have a different experience with it, please let us know.

A few days back, I ordered about 5 or 6 colors to try and they should be arriving soon. I'll definately update this once I have tried them.

i posted a thread in "suppliers" about finding som every nice and inexpensive braided poly thread. it's from schall leather merchants on ebay. i emailed alex at the store. very helpful.

there isn't a variety of colors - just earth tones - but the price is VERY good.

Just wanted to add some snap shots of the Coats Threads braided polyester threads sample card for their Classic Brio line, specifically for leather working, available unwaxed, lightly or heavily waxed, in .8 mm, 1.0 mm, 1.2 mm and 1.4 mm sizes. They have a large assortment of colors and are available in the US.brio-classic-samples.jpg

brio-classic-size-samples.jpg

Edited by exoticleather

Coats makes a BRAIDED POLY as well, but FINDING it here in the States is next to impossible. I quite fancy Serabraid (by... name of parent company escapes me). Serabraid looks IDENTICAL to Ritza 25/Tiger thread. Again, CAN'T seem to find a way to purchase it, even though I've been in communication with the U.S. sales rep! VERY frustrating.

I too would like to know how to actually get in contact with a U.S. sales rep for Coats who can assist in purchasing.

Thanks for posting.

dcobranding, just curious why you prefer Serabraid to Tiger Ritza. I haven't used it myself. Do they have better color options? Better pricing?

dcobranding, just curious why you prefer Serabraid to Tiger Ritza. I haven't used it myself. Do they have better color options? Better pricing?

The high resolution close up pictures that I've seen look identical to Ritza 25. Upon first learning of Serabraid, I had hoped that it would be more readlily available than the somewhat difficult to acquire Tiger or Ritza 25. I've been emailing back and forth with the U.S. sales rep for Amann (maker of Serabraid), but to no avail. Rediculous that it's so difficult to purchase quality braided poly thread. If I had the resources, I would become a reseller of either in a second. What little Tiger thread I have, I bought from Ludlow Leather which I think is either out of business or sold to a new owner.

This has become a very sore subject for me. Sorry if my posts are a little on the "raw" side. I hope I wasn't rude inadvertently.

If you would like the contact info for the sales rep for Serabraid, please let me know. I would be happy to forward to you privately along with a PDF brochure with pictures and specs.

I think that the problem is that I am needing to buy retail, and they are only set up to sell bulk wholesale.

I got my samples from Royalwood Ltd and did a few runs of test stitching. My stitching is a work in progress and not as nice as I want it to be but I thought the threads were okay. The colors seemed consistent, to me at least, and the size was as even as I could tell. I am by no means an expert on thread but to my eye this thread looked fine for what I am doing. I ordered 5 colors in the 4 ply waxed linen thread (the natural 4 ply was out of stock so I ordered the 3 ply). Here's my stitch samples and the sample card for this company if anyone wishes to contact them.

royal-thread-stitching-test.jpgroyalwood-thread-samples.jpg

Edited by exoticleather

exoticleather, your example stitches look great. If you look at the sample card at colors such as turquoise you will see the variation of color I was talking about.

Look up Slam bonded thread.

Nigel did a bang up review of it as a source comparable to tiger thread, but more available stateside.

Rocky Mountain Leather Supply has Tiger thread in the different sizes and colors here in the U.S.

+1 for Rocky Mountain Leather Supply.  Quick, fast service!

To all that are trying to find a retailer that sells Serabraid thread. Check out http://www.jpmsupplyco.com/collections/thread-and-bobbins/products/serabraid-thread-0504 - They are located in Georgia and they supply hard to find items for the automotive upholstery industry. If you poke around their site you will see that they say that they will do special orders from Amann for threads that they don't stock. I just gave them a call and their message said that they are in the process of moving and to leave a vmail message or get in touch with them via email. I did both and then ordered a spool of the thicker Serafil thread just to get a look at the stuff. As others on this post are interested in the Serabraid T90 thread that is what I hope I will be able to order from these guys in colors that I want.

I hope this helps anyone in search of the elusive "Serabraid."

p.s. I was also able to find someone selling a few size and color variants on ebay. Ships from the U.K. but the price is right and it won't take that long to get to the U.S. Here is the link for the T90, 1000 (1mm): http://www.ebay.com/itm/131997358721?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=431343121018&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!

Sam

Edited by sambking

Fwiw Rocky mountain leather supply has 15 colors available in .06, .08,1.0 mm in 25m lengths on Amazon. I ordered some last night to try. They run $6.99 a spool. Yeah, it's a little steep. But if I like it I will order larger amounts from Abbey.

46 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Fwiw Rocky mountain leather supply has 15 colors available in .06, .08,1.0 mm in 25m lengths on Amazon. I ordered some last night to try. They run $6.99 a spool. Yeah, it's a little steep. But if I like it I will order larger amounts from Abbey.

Full spools are $32. .06 a meter. Once you use it you will make drying lines from your Tandy stuff.lol

There was some talk in this thread of the serabraid.  It is real close to tiger. I posed more extensively in another thread about it.  I have been buying from southwest sewing machines out of Houston.  They have a few colors instock.  What they have not had instock they have gotten from Germany and only took about a week or maybe a little more.  And two several hundred meter rolls was about $50 shipped. In that thread there was another member (solar leather machines I believe) that said he sold it also.  I really like it.  If you would like to see some, I could pull 10 or 15 feet off and send you some. 

8 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

Full spools are $32. .06 a meter. Once you use it you will make drying lines from your Tandy stuff.lol

After I posted last night I looked up Rocky Mountain, they have lots of cool stuff.

Well I got post a cerrection.  The thread I thought was coming from Germany was actually coming from a wharehouse in the states. I called to order some today and the wharehouse did not have it in stock so that size and color would have to come from Germany. 

59 minutes ago, Brianm77 said:

Well I got post a cerrection.  The thread I thought was coming from Germany was actually coming from a wharehouse in the states. I called to order some today and the wharehouse did not have it in stock so that size and color would have to come from Germany. 

That's about right.  Amann-USA doesn't carry much large threads, so many times it's a custom order from Germany.  I'm considering ordering a few lots, but I'd like to see who is interested here first.  

For what it's worth, it comes in several sizes.  For hand sewing, I think Tex 750 or Tex 1030 would work best.