DavidL

2 In 1 Leather Splitter And Skiver?

Is there such a machine that can do both? I have seen a 5 in 1 machine, with only the skiver. A splitter and skiver would be better even if it was an entry level one that I could use before I buy better machinery.

The two machines I found separately are:

hand crank weaver leather splitter- $2300

techsew skiver - $1100

Bother are out of my budget. Can anyone recommend a 2 in 1 leather skiver and splitter - if they exist.

Or a machine in the 500 range for each one.

For the skiver I would like it to be automated, works from a regular electrical outlet, and adjust the thickness it skives.

The splitter I don't mind it being hand cranked, but needs to be able to skive the flesh in one solid motion and takes a single piece from the backside.

I bought an old manual Osborne from Bruce Johnson a while back... cannot remember the model, and I have to,admit I was beyond surprise when (a) he knew could identify exactly the model of the splitter I was looking for from a photo (B) he was able to find one for me and © it was very reasonably priced, even with shipping (since we get fleeced for any leather tools in Australia.

Basically, this is my round about way of saying contact Bruce Johnson, and see if he can help. He was also extremely patient with a newbie leather worker.

I'm not sure you entirely understand the difference between splitting leather and skiving edges.
Theres no possible way that there could be a 2-in-1 machine for this process as they are fundamentally different. (pushing leather through a blade to split, or using a rotating blade to essentially sand the leather from the edges)

There will be nothing in your price range for either.
The skivers are all around the 1k$ range, and crank splitters start at 600$ + shipping

I'm not sure you entirely understand the difference between splitting leather and skiving edges.

Theres no possible way that there could be a 2-in-1 machine for this process as they are fundamentally different. (pushing leather through a blade to split, or using a rotating blade to essentially sand the leather from the edges)

There will be nothing in your price range for either.

The skivers are all around the 1k$ range, and crank splitters start at 600$ + shipping

I understand the difference of the two. Wanted to know if there was such a tool that could do both, a splitter with a skiver at the side.

Non electrical skivers and a separate splitter will fit my budget though.

I bought an old manual Osborne from Bruce Johnson a while back... cannot remember the model, and I have to,admit I was beyond surprise when (a) he knew could identify exactly the model of the splitter I was looking for from a photo ( B) he was able to find one for me and © it was very reasonably priced, even with shipping (since we get fleeced for any leather tools in Australia.

Basically, this is my round about way of saying contact Bruce Johnson, and see if he can help. He was also extremely patient with a newbie leather worker.

Il give him a email once I'm ready to buy. I have received tools from him before and they were great.

You have to realize that there is 2 types of skiving machines...
Edge skiving machine (fortuna, like the one you linked)
End skiving machine (like a splitter with a spring tension to skive belt + strap ends)

A edge skiving machine is electric. A non-electric edge skiver = skiving knife that you use by hand.
End skiving machines are generally ONLY non-electric bench-mounted splitter type blades.

Im more interested in finding if there is such a tool than the technical name..

Good to know I suppose. Id be interest in a end or edge skiving machine w/ a cran

You have to realize that there is 2 types of skiving machines...
Edge skiving machine (fortuna, like the one you linked)
End skiving machine (like a splitter with a spring tension to skive belt + strap ends)

A edge skiving machine is electric. A non-electric edge skiver = skiving knife that you use by hand.
End skiving machines are generally ONLY non-electric bench-mounted splitter type blades.

k splitter. I don't think any company sells one though

Don't the vintage landis hand crank machines do both? I see them pop up on ebay from time to time

Im starting to do some research on the subject myself and this came up when I did a search.

If anyone has used one of these I would be interested in hearing your opinions. Especially if they work well with thin leather and chrome tanned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-S-Osborne-Splitting-Machine-Skiver-Osborne-86A-Leather-Splitting-Machine-/111398444291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19efdd5d03

I found this on ebay. I have no clue if it really splits and skives but the listing says it does both.