Constabulary

Which Machines Need A Sytem 1001 Needle?

I just can across a bunch of new SCHMETZ System 1001 needles in size 280 (metric) and wonder which machines could use these monster needles.

Best guess is they are the leather version of the SMX1000. From what I can gather the 1000 class is equivalent to the Singer 8 needle

They have a regular tip.

Total length: 9.1cm

From top to top of eye 8 - 8.1cm

From top to middle of scarf 7.5cm

Some pictures:

post-31854-0-23924000-1400076520_thumb.j

post-31854-0-76223300-1400076527_thumb.j

post-31854-0-44882900-1400076538_thumb.j

Edited by Constabulary

MY_1001, Also known as system UY_121 and DVX1, in your case size NM280, was used for Union Special bag closers 3000 class, and for very old 9500D Union Special. Not too common needle at all.

Singer 8 Needle? I'm not sure what you are referring to. Also, I can't figure it out, but are you referring to Schmetz needle system 1000H? These are def. not the same, or the needle system would be.

I´m referring to your last post #4 of course.

The MY_1001 / UY_121 / DVX1 is a shorter needle which also fits into the Juki MF860 for instance.

As mentioned before my needle is a 9.1cm long 280NM monster needle. So it can´t be the same needle - look at my pictures and the measures.

How does a Singer 8 needle look like and what are their measures?

• 1000H system

• measures 73 mm from the top of the eye to the back of the shank, with 2.5 mm dia shank

• for Singer 7B, Seiko SLH, Adler 120-17 or -37....

1001 system

• measures ??? don't know. It's so old it's not in my charts

for all other Adler 120 series

331 system

• measures 82.5 mm from the top of the eye to the back of the shank, with 2.3+ mm dia shank

for Pearson, Landis 1 etc... now obsolete

Hi CampbellRandall!

That really helps - thanks a lot.

Shank on my needles are 2.3mm. So it "seems" my needles would probably work for the 331 system. What do you think?

But what exactly is the Singer 8 Needle?

Singer 7P, 7SS & 8 classes used a curved needle... I would assume he meant the Singer 7B

Singer 7P, 7SS & 8 classes used a curved needle... I would assume he meant the Singer 7B

No, I mean the original Singer 8 class machine which is bigger than a 7. The modern Chinese equivalent to the 7 class is the GB6 class where the 180 and 181 use the 7 class (794) needle and the GB6-182 uses the 1000 system which I believe is the original Singer 8 class needle. Just to confuse matters they also build the 7-33.

The 7B was the Japanese built version of the original 7 class such as the 7-5.

Singer used the same numbers for different machines with the "-" or letter being the modifier. For example the 99k is a 3/4 sized domestic straight sewer while the 99w is an industrial button holer weighing about 65kg.

The 7 and 8 with the p and ss letters were not designed by Singer but were inherited with a company they purchased.

Singer 8 Needle? I'm not sure what you are referring to. Also, I can't figure it out, but are you referring to Schmetz needle system 1000H? These are def. not the same, or the needle system would be.

If you look at an old Singer needle book you will see that most early machines had a special needle numbered after them.

Are you sure they are the same?

Mine are 9cm long - even longer than the 328 and 794 needles

Send a PM to Singermania - Steve as he has a Singer 8 class machine and can measure up the needle.

My Adler 20-7 uses the 1001 needle according to the information I have found. But it works okay with the 1000 needles as well.

HI Darren, yes the Singer 8-8 that I have has the larger of the 7 class shuttles and I'm pretty sure uses the 1000 roundpoint needle.

I have been  looking for needles to my Adler 20-17B.   The only one left is " Schmetz C 000".  Have not yet found anything like that, but that needle has the exact same measures as the Schmetz system 1001.  So if anyone in this forum knows where to get something like that,  it wold be a great help. The machine itself is still as good as new and can work for many more years.    

Edited by inge w

Adler H-Type 969 pure/eco/classic takes system 794 (standard) or system 1000H.