Bakerleather

Ferdinand 900B Problems

Ok, So this is my first post other than my introduction, and thank you to anyone that reads it. I have a ferdinand bull (900B) stitching machine. A few years ago I sent it back to ferdco (formerly ferdinand but now gone) and they went through it and got everything timed and going well. Now I have used it quite a bit and it has slipped out of time again. according to their website when ferdco went out of business Hoffman Bros took over thier service and parts, I've called them half a dozen times over the course of a year and have yet to speak to a person or get a call back. Luberto's website lists a video service pack for the ferdinand 900b, all off their numbers are disconnected and their email is as well. So I'm in a bit of distress, it's a great machine I just need to find someone that knows how to time it, and right now my livelyhood depends on it.

THE MACHINE SPECS. (what i know)

• Ferdinand 900B
  • Single needle jump foot (the foot only moves up and down to hold the material, the needle is what feeds the material.
  • I am running a 794s needle size 200 and 277 bonded poly thread.

PROBLEMS- I know i need to go through and do a few things such as polish the hook and other places that tend to cause frayed thread but that isn't causing all of my problems. I've done all the common trouble shooting things, new needle, changed thread, oiled it etc.

• fraying thread, forward and backward, often cuts the thread in thicker material (skirting leather)
  • reverse stitch length different than forward.
  • skips stitches, ESPECIALLY in reverse
  • one thing i noticed it that if i turn the wheel so that I can watch the needle come out of the material slowly, the needle deflects away from the operator when it comes out of the material, ie the needle is coming out of the material before it has completed it's travel, another way to put it,, the foot has come down too fast and the needle hasn't had a chance to feed the material all of the way. This has also caused the problem of shortened stitch length, according to the manual I should be able to make a 7/8" stitch, and I have done close to that, but right now about the longest I can get it to do is 1/4".
  • I have adjusted the foot lift height all the way up and that helped in the sense that the needle isn't deflecting as badly but I think it compounded some of the other problems. Mostly adjusting the height allowed me to make a normal stitch length again whereas before I couldn't get a stitch long enough to match the old holes when refleecing a saddle for instance. But the overcompensated foot walk height seems to have made the machine stitch alot worse, lesser of two evils though, at least I can get a normal length.

Any help on this I greatly appreciate, I'll try to take some short videos if that will help.

Edited by Bakerleather

I realize now that I posted this in the wrong place and should have put it in the sewing machine forum.

Moved to sewing machines. Tom

Edited by northmount

Have you tried to adjust the hook / needle timing?

In the upward stroke the hook should meet the needle scarf about 3.2mm / 1/8" above the needle eye.

I can't remember which machine they copied, you may be correct that it is a juki copy. I'll take a look at the thread. I really appreciate the reply that was the problem is I didn't know the specs for timing it. I will give that a shot.

A 900-B service video is available for $119.95. It is 90 min long and covers just about everything you need to know about your machine. Contact Tony Luberto at 860-564-8252.

I think they started with a consew 735 or something like that . I worked on of my customers for several years. At one time They could not keep it in time. They would reset the timing thru the round cover on the lower right of the base but in a few stitches it would be out. When I went to check it we marked the shaft and collar with a sharpie sew a little went out of time but the marks still lined up Turned out to be a sheared pin that holds the shuttle driver to the shaft. It finially wore out and parts were a problem after bull sold out, replaced it with Cowboy 4500. Good for them bad for me they haven't needed service in two years. They make 100 sets of draft horse harness a year.

Thank you for the reply pcox! These problems do have me thinking about a new machine in the future so i appreciate the insight. I did find out that it is a built up consew 754. I don't think the needle hook timing is slipping but somehow the foot lift timing is off. I saw on another thread that they had added on to the rod that the roller on the shaft actuates. Looked like it was probably jb weld. I think the culprit is probably the needle bar timing not the foot lift timing but i couldn't get any of the set screws loose that could possibly be for adjusting the needle timing, even with an impact screw driver. I was afraid of stripping the heads or breaking something so im trying jb weld to get the foot to match the needle. All of the foot lift connections are pinned, so no adjustment there.

Thanks again

A 900-B service video is available for $119.95. It is 90 min long and covers just about everything you need to know about your machine. Contact Tony Luberto at 860-564-8252.

Oops put the quote in the wrong place, thank you for the number for lubertos. I saw that video set on their website but all of the numbers as well as the email were disconnected. Of course it's Saturday evening but i left a message at that number hopefully i can track down a set of those DVDs!

I seen a sewing machine guy take a screwdriver bit and hold in place with a pair of pliers then he took a small wrench that would fit the bit and loosen a couple of screws that he couldn't get loose with a screw driver. That might work for you to.

Thank you for the reply and the tip dirt clod, it will no doubt come in handy. Has anyone been able to contact luberto's sewing machine company lately?I double checked the number posted here earlier and it is one of the numbers listed on their website, i left a message on it a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back. It is the only number that hasn't been disconnected, but it doesn say "you have reached tony or lubertos", just that the owner of the number is unavailable. Their email is no good either.

I just wanted to update this post and let the community know that I did get my problems sorted out. Tony luberto called me back a few days ago, apparently they had switched phone carriers and weren't getting any of their calls or messages! Tony was very helpful and is a wonderful gentleman, very professional. I bought the service video that he did on the 900b and it is very, very informative, if anyone is on the fence about wether or not to get one of Tony's videos about on their machine take my advice and buy it! Even if you aren't currently having problems.

Anyway i learned how to get the needle bar in time with the foot and also found that the reason it was fraying and cutting thread was that the needle was coming down too far away from the hook. Sometimes it would pierce the thread and sometimes it would miss the loop completely, resulting in a skipped stitch. A very simple fix but not one that i would have ever thought of on my own.