jimi

Pfaff 335-17B S Journey To The Unknown!

Great work Jimi, Screws on the presser foot are normal metric threads, but use good quality steel so you do not brake them. If you need some spare feet's and plates try http://www.kwokhing.com/pfaff/ Its not expensive and you will have the screws included with the new feet`s. You will need a thread stand of course or you will have problem with twisted top thread.

Very good work.

Tor

The presser foot screw is not metric on this machine as i have tried that already with a metric screw. it is 1/4 unf i think? i will check again as i might be wrong, thanks tor.

Hi Everyone, thanks for the response.Here is another cheap option. it is a nakajima 280L tension unit which costs the grand sum of $9.87!! can you see any resemblance to the 335 one? i know it looks more like the singer tension unit but i think it is still a great option. it dosent have the small wheel and the bent bracket where the thread goes through, but anyway? the small screw that holds it on to the machine was missing but the two screws that hold the spring on the back fit!! by the way how does that release work for the disks, because it looks like there is a hole for the pin but there dosent seem to be anything behind there?? here are some more shots..

post-32832-0-85871600-1405432164_thumb.j

post-32832-0-08828700-1405432192_thumb.j

post-32832-0-98854100-1405432228_thumb.j

post-32832-0-00742800-1405432270_thumb.j

post-32832-0-27795600-1405432323_thumb.j

post-32832-0-47199200-1405439331_thumb.j

Edited by jimi

Hey Tor, just checked again, the thread is nº12-24 unc i think. you can see the difference between the metric one. i am still trying to find the nut that was broken with the balance wheel in the picture.(its glued together)

post-32832-0-68007700-1405439878_thumb.j

post-32832-0-56139000-1405440236_thumb.j

post-32832-0-26441800-1405440251_thumb.j

Edited by jimi

Hey Tor, just checked again, the thread is nº12-24 unc i think. you can see the difference between the metric one. i am still trying to find the nut that was broken with the balance wheel in the picture.(its glued together)

I think everything you need is on my Pfaff machine.

Pictures will be sent by PN

Yes, it might be because its made before they changed to the new metric standard. There is a small hole over the big one for the takeup spring. There should be a pin in there that push on the mechanism behind your new unit; when you lift the presser foot. That again pushes the disks apart and release the top thread. You see this long pin # 91- 013 091-05. Here is a page of the new type, look for the same in the old manual.

Tor

post-10237-0-43546400-1405443355_thumb.j

Hi Everyone, thanks for the response.Here is another cheap option. it is a nakajima 280L tension unit which costs the grand sum of $9.87!! can you see any resemblance to the 335 one? i know it looks more like the singer tension unit but i think it is still a great option. it dosent have the small wheel and the bent bracket where the thread goes through, but anyway? the small screw that holds it on to the machine was missing but the two screws that hold the spring on the back fit!! by the way how does that release work for the disks, because it looks like there is a hole for the pin but there dosent seem to be anything behind there?? here are some more shots..

There also is a small curved metal piece where the thread take up spring rests on - it is missing at your machine.

yes that small curved plate is possibly to stop the spring from going back around the other way?? in the casting where the tension spring goes it has a step and that seems to be doing the same thing-stopping the spring going back around?? thanks for the parts page tor, i cant find any old manuals for this one. just a few pages of feet, needle plates and binders and stuff(335 H3 subclass parts) . looks like this one has no parts to open the disks although the hole is there in the casting for the pin to protrude out?? "it was probably still in the think tank" i will maybe stick something in there and see what can be done?? thanks for the help guys.

You will get them from Pfaff Industrial if you write them.

Its some here too, but I do not know if they are of the old head.

http://www.universalsewing.com/tek9.asp?pg=parts_pfaff

Some aftermarket parts here:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/Pfaff335SewingMachineParts

Tor

Edited by Trox

Thanks trox, in the end i had the newer parts manual downloaded. i tried writing to pfaff a couple of months ago but no reply. i have just sent another email, so lets see if they reply this time. the hinge is on and the machine is hooked up to my patcher treadle, so will put some more pictures up soon! almost there!

Now this journey has been explored and is known??? we are almost finished. thanks everybody for your help and comments!

post-32832-0-69696200-1405622329_thumb.j

post-32832-0-33870100-1405622339_thumb.j

post-32832-0-70556000-1405622358_thumb.j

post-32832-0-82396800-1405622369_thumb.j

Hi Jimi,

You did a great job and worked very fast. The only thing remaining is buffing up the needle plate to a high shine on your Buffing wheel. I do that to all my plates so the leather will feed better.

Tor

Hi Tor, maybe it dosent look like it has been done but it has been brushed with the brush in the drill, although you are probably referring to the cloth wheel and jewlers rouge maybe?? looks like it still has its original marks when it was machined.

Hi Jimi, yes something like that. However, with a modern buffing compound not jeweler rouge ( thats for jewelers, use something for steel) I have the felt wheel on a bench grinder for that kinds of jobs and a German aggressive polishing compound. Keeps the steel free of rust and feed the leather much better.

Tor

Here is the update on the machine. now it has a new 1Hp servo motor fitted to a "mean time" table and some new decals on, new swing down guide drilled and fitted and some new feet and binder plate. thanks again to tor,contstabulary and other LW followers for their help and comments.post-32832-0-83900200-1416672829_thumb.jpost-32832-0-15320600-1416672847_thumb.j just to say, dont think that it is impossible to get that chunk of metal going again. some of them just need that clean up and oil part that was left out and a little bit of your time.

Incredible Jimi!! It was a treat to follow your thought process and your work. Thank you.

Jimi,

Great job. Couple of questions.

1. What part did you end up using for the tension bracket assembly, i.e., a Singer, a Pfaff, etc.? What about the Pfaff decals?

2. Can you send us a pic of the small brass plate so we can see what the exact 335 model info was ?

thanks

glenn

Hi Glenn, Thanks,I thought I had commented something about that nakajima tension unit before but must have forgot. in the end it was fraying the thread, sometimes it would work ok and others it would fray the thread. it could be because it is new and the edges are not smooth enough yet?? also after passing through the disks the thread would also catch on the small screw from time to time, i think that was where the problem might be, the part with the tension spring. I will put it on again at some point and try to see exactly where the problem lies. so I opted for the second hand one aquired from constabulary who had a spare. now it seems to have solved that problem. the brass plate can be seen on one of the pictures on the first page, it says 335/17B S. and the pfaff decals,well i just copied the letters from pictures on the net and sized them approximately. the one on the head plate was touched up in paintshop, then printed them on water slide decal paper and laquered them 4 times. jimi.

Hi, this is a light which is used on the new pfaff 335s, I was lucky enough to win this on ebay. it is not a very bright light, just 40w but it is focused and you normally come in from the sides with your hands and block out the light. but this way you dont obstruct the light as it is straight on front of you. jimi

post-32832-0-83606900-1416923516_thumb.jpost-32832-0-10721900-1416923532_thumb.j

Thanks piheart, just goes to show that no matter how bad it looks, it might just be a case of cleaning and adjusting. as you saw the owner did not pack well enough and courier just lumped it on, apart from that, the machine itself had no worn parts to change. in this post the singer 17-10 was a similar case, but this time the owner packed well. just cleaning! and a needle clamp-easy to make!. 30€!! + 20 transport is all the machine cost. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=59807&page=2.

Job well done Jimi, looks very good. Old Pfaff machines are good refurbishing objects because of there excellent steel quality and craftsmanship. The only negative side to it is expensive spare parts.

Thanks Trox, who knows? maybe some day they will lower their prices, and people would buy more of their machines,old and new.

Hello,

may I ask you what is serial number please? One of my Pfaffs has #4884212 and and It’s already green one. 

Thank you very much,

Jirka

Hello Jirka, the S/n is - 4 141 405. I also have a newer (greenish) one but it has only 6 numbers?? - 603 218. maybe the paint is still covering the first number??. Regards, Jimi.