Well, actually, there is a sixth one that I don't have a picture of. I just finished making a batch of five masks that I'm really pleased with. I can see a huge difference between them, and my earlier masks...even the one I made last month!

I don't have pictures of the new masks yet. Most of them are flower-themed, so my partner-in-crime and I are going to do a photoshoot near flowers hopefully tomorrow if the weather cooperates and the filming they are doing in our neighborhood doesn't get in the way.

Until then, I thought I would post my earlier masks! They're made from tooling leather of various weights, and most are painted with acrylics. (Sorry for my face in one of them; I don't have a picture of just the mask yet). Most of them were made for our yearly themed Halloween parties. It's not until this past month I've gotten into making them for Etsy.

The Minotaur (2012):

minotaur_asterion_minoan_leather_masquer

Knossos Bee (2012):

Memask_zpsd84b0f17.jpg

Rose Sugar Skull (2013):

rose_dia_de_los_muertos_voodoo_leather_m

Marigold Sugar Skull (2013):

marigold_dia_de_los_muertos_voodoo_leath

Icarus (2014):

leather_icarus_masquerade_mask_by_lilyli

Aww, thank you, Tom! Eventually I might want to collaborate with some local photographers and/or models. Until then, masks get to be modeled on either me or my roomie! (Or a mannequin. That's still something I'm debating, if I can snag one off eBay at a decent price).

I love masks. good job!

All look nicely configured, thought out, and executed ! I admittedly don't know much about masks, but I know art when I see it !

Thank you guys!

Wild Bill, that's how I feel about a lot of the beautiful projects on this forum. I know next to nothing about motorcycles, holsters, sheaths, etc...but I can definitely tell the artistry of them when I see them.

You would do well at Mardi Gras here in Louisiana. Some of these "crews" go all out for the events.

Nice Work!

great work, love the colour of the minotaur.

Ken, going to Mardi Gras would be awesome! There aren't a whole lot of places left in the states I really want to see on my bucket list, but that area is one of them.

Leatheroo, thank you! I looked at all your past mask threads the other day, and so to get a compliment on coloring from you means a lot! I am working on the next version of the Minotaur mask, and want to continue with the whole Lunar/Starry theme that the original myth follows.

lily, do you have an airbrush... i couldn't live without mine.

No, I don't currently have an airbrush. I do all of my painting by regular brush, which works nicely for my shading in tight areas...but an airbrush would be awesome for the background colors!

Great looking masks and a very pretty face!

I see you are in Mass. There are more than enough colleges there that would have some willing models for you. From my experience, most will work with you as long as they can get some pictures for their portfolio.

I haven't tried mask making and I'll have to shortly it seems since I have a niece that is wearing me out about it! I may bend your ear a bit when it's time!

An air brush is a tool that you'll never live without again once you begin using it! I haven't used mine for leather work as yet, but is use it a lot in a couple of my other hobbies.

Charlie

Aww, thanks, Charlie!

I am in Massachusetts now, yes; I am from Fort Worth (which I mention just as a 'hello!' seeing that's roughly the area you're in!). The college idea is a really good one. My studiomate attends Harvard, and we live a stone's throw from both there and MIT (not to mention the, what, 50 colleges in Boston?). I will have to look into that, so thank you.

I am toying with the idea of an airbrush, but I honestly don't know how much use I'd get out of it. I tend to paint intricate things with sharp outlines. It would be nice for sweeps of color, though!

When you do get around to trying your hand at masks, you are more than welcome to bend my ear about it! I am still learning the process myself, but can probably answer some questions. :)