I just recently purchased a REX 11-155R I've been trying to get it to work for over a week and am having an issue with the top thread being shredded and not being able to set the top tension properly. At first it shredded very quickly so I removed the shuttle for inspection and sure enough found a "spur". Using emory cloth I removed the spur and polished the shuttle back to a high lustre and ultra smooth finish. Now I can sew a foot or two before the thread shreds. I'm using #92 Thread with a New #22 needle. As for the tensioning I have polished the discs and they are fine. If I adjust the tension to a light setting it seems to work better but then I get loops on the bottom due to not enough tension to pull the bobbin thread up and lock the stich into the material. If I Set the Tension higher the shredding begins sooner and it still does not look as though the bobbin thread is being pulled up into the material. I think the bobbin is adjusted about right. When I do the "Yo Yo" drop it will drop about 1" with a medium yank. I've never had a Walking foot machine but have worked on both sewing and mechanically on a Tacsew Straight stich machine and can set the Hook Timing etc. on it with out fail and it works perfectly. This Walking Foot has me Over a Barrel. I just can't seem to get it to sew with out shredding the thread. I use the same thread on my TacSew Machine and it works perfectly. I'm hoping one of the experts here on the forum might have some insight to help me figure this out. I read somewhere you can't BREAK these old machines but...Mine seems to be BROKEN!!!!

H E L P!!!!!

Mike

Well, I ended up taking the machine to a repair shop. After 2 trips they finally figured it out. Ended up being the top tension spring was worn out and even though it appeared to be functioning it was to weak to apply enough pressure of proper tensioning. They replaced it with a new spring and it now works perfectly and sews thru 6 layers of vinyl using #56 thread and #22 needle like Hot Butter. Loaded up #138 Thread and a #25 needle and sewed some Belt Leather with Perfect results!! Needless to say, I'm a Happy Camper!!! :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you got it going. Have you tried your 138 with your 22 size needle? A #25 on 138 seems really big, I run #277 thread with a #25 needle on my big machine and on my smaller one I run #138 thread with a #22 needle and both run flawlessly. I believe that I've read that too big of needle can also cause skipped stitches due to the hole being so large causing the loop to not form correctly because of the lack of resistance on the thread as the needle ascends. Also to big of a hole and it can be difficult to balance the knot, plus it looks a bit goofy to me. Just my .02

I was running it with a #22 needle and had problems. I have not tried since the repair. I WILL try it now since it's been repaired and see how it goes. THANKS for the reminder!!!! ;)