stangman645

Need Advice On Purchasing My First Sewing Machine For Leather Work

Hello All,

I'm new to the craft and wanted to know what are some suggestions for a sewing machine that can sew leather? I'm on a serious budget and wouldn't mind buying a used setup as well. I want to get a machine that can handle from light to heavy weight leathers. I've been on here looking at some folks suggestions and I'm starting to get over whelmed with specs and requirements and all. I just want something for my entry level then I'll move up as I progress.

Thanks,

Hello stangman645,

I'm new to this myself but I bought an old refurbished HEAVY DUTY Brother sewing machine for sewing leather and found it's good for leather up to about 4 oz.The fellow I bought it from said it will sew 2 thicknesses of 10 oz leather,which it does but this is when you have the machine going full pin.It's very hard to control and I believe it's hard on the little motor. After doing more reseach, I found out that you want a commercial /heavy duty leather sewing machine with a servo motor which has the power and control to handle heavy leather. I like the info on the cobra machines that have a motor, and I also like the tippman "BOSS" that is handpowered which would be handy, especially up here in the bush where we don't have power. Anyway, check them out ,see what you think, hope this helps and take care.

If in any doubt, overbuy for first one if you don't want to end up disappointed and need a second right away

I don't like to put products down but I would stay away from the boss as a first machine, I had one and they are somewhat hard to stay adjusted. I would suggest spending a little more money and get one of the Juki 440 clones that several vedors sell. It will be money well spent. They will sew light weight material from about 5 oz all the way up to 3/4 inch of skirting stacked. You can use a flat bed with them to sew garment as well as heavy stuff.

Just my oponion.

RC

441 is the model# For starters look at the top of this forum page for 2 good ones

Hey Randy. Hope all is well. Please call me. Thanks, Steve

I would seriously take a look at the Cobra class 4

and I also would second staying away from the tipman boss they are constantly needing re adjusting

Also might want to look at the Cowboy brand of sewing machines.

Cowboy 4500 is awesome

Thanks for all of your input. However, the majority of these machines are way out of my budget and I may be stuck with hand stitching some of the thick items until I can afford the work horse machines listed.

well you are in good company for most of us hand stitch because of that very reason

I got a piggy bank going trying to save up enough to buy a Cobra Class 4 myself.

I would say buy new and stick to the trusted companies shown here on LW.net.

I looked and looked for a "bargain". Something in my budget that I thought I could fix or referbish if needed. Now I realize that with my entry level knowledge, it would have been a waste of money. Unless you know a lot about sewing machines... which I did not... it's a lot of work to referbish a machine. Even if you can get it up and running... you want to be sure it can sew the leather thickness you need.

Best to get it right the first time :)

btw.. I have a Cobra Class 4 and I absolutely love it. Just my .02

I too purchased the Cobra class 4 just this past fall and it's truly a dream machine. So easy to use, beginner friendly, and worth its weight in gold. I saved for it because I knew I didn't want any headaches with the machine I did choose and it hasn't disappointed! :)

You could purchase a Windham Cub full rotary hand crank sewing machine. Sews very heavy leather or light. Uses thread sizes from 69 to 346. Is user friendly. Sells for $1,495.00 and is manufactured right here in the USA.

Contact Tony: 860-564-8252

or

classiccub@att.net

A Cowboy 3200 sells for $1595 at Toledo. It is a slightly lighter version of the Cobra 4 / Cowboy 4500 and stitches up to about 1/2" of leather. I purchased one a few months ago and it's a winner:

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ