Howdy folks,

I just had a quick question, hopefully I can get some help from some more experienced folks.

I am in the process of making book covers: journals, scout handbooks, bibles, etc.... However I seem to be cutting my material way too short and it creates a really tight fit or almost ruins the book. I'm curious, is there a standard/guideline dimension beyond that of the book I should go to? I just don't want my covers to be too big for the book to make it look out of proportion.

I'm using 3-4 oz leather. Should I make it 1/2" longer/wider?.... 1/4"? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

~Blue Skies

Hi,

I would open the book and trace its outline, then add 1/4 inch on all sides. It is better to be too big than to damage somebody's special book.

Good luck and show us some pictures please!

You will also want to make an allowance for the thickness of the leather you are using. The spine part of your cover should extend past the spine of your actual book by one thickness of the leather you are using to get the fold in the right place. The 1/4 inch margin will probably work OK if you are stitching the pockets to the cover, but if you are planning on lacing you may want to allow for a little more room.

The Art of Making Cases by Al Stohlman (vol 1 I think) covers making a cover like this. It is a very hand set of books to have.

Bob

I actually add 1/2" to the height and 1-1/2" to the width to account for the stitch line and allow for the leather thickness to get around the spine. it seems to work for me so far.