Sign in to follow this  
Josiah

What Is This

This is a crystalline substance that appears after soaking a holster for molding. It brushes off but reappears within an hour, and doesn't do it to every one. Just wondering if if anyone knows what it is or how to stop it from appearing.

skz8dt.jpg

Not sure but it may be something in the water. I always use distilled water for wetting leather whether I'm soaking it for molding or casing it. I use it to cut water based products as well. Just never know what's in the water.

Chief

If you have a water softener it might be salt residue if it back washed close to the time you wet your leather or it just might be chemicals or minerals in the water.

Just a guess. .

I've had that same thing happen to me a few times. In my experience it was the leather itself. Cheap leather or cheaply tanned with bad chemicals. Some tanneries I've heard use urine in the tanning process. The salt in urine would be released in soaking the leather for wet molding.

I had that happen with bargain-bin leather, tanned in Mexico. That particular piece was also not tanned all the way through... there was a layer of rawhide running through the center of the leather.

That piece was what finally convinced me to try Hermann Oak, so I guess something good came out of it.

Edited by BHPshooter

How did you die it? I made up some vinagroon and died a holster, once it was black I dunked it in the baking soda and water mixture, when it started to dry the white started coming out, thought at first it was the leather, Tandy brand, took a scrap piece and did it again, this time though I did not rinse it and there was no white residue, the only thing I could figure was I used too much baking soda and the leather soaked it up and then it leached out when it dried.

Edited by Abram