Hello!

I am attempting my first boot top purse for a customer and have seen several that other shops have made in person but cannot figure out what they have used for the bottom of the purse that is sturdy. I will be covering the bottom with chap leather and not just sewing the boot top bottoms together. I have seen a purse that had upholstery tacks pressed into the bottom to keep the bottom covering on but had no idea if it was heavy leather or cardboard, etc underneath.

My question is, what does everyone use for purse bottoms and why? I am looking for something that is sturdy but not too heavy.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Cowgirlup8807 -

I am a newbie at purse making too - mixed media.

You can buy bag stiffener from Tandy or Springfield (two brands, Texon or Bondtex in variable thicknesses, they are treated to prevent mildewing too). Other members, fell free to correct me if I am wrong!

Cardboard can crease and deteriorate over time - not recommended.

Another option is plastic grid you can buy at the craft stores for needle work.

You may want to add a layer of thin headliner foam too for some cushion or loft and to prevent the rigidity of the plastic being felt through softer leathers.

Have fun!

Leese

:)

I do not make purses but for sturdiness I would call a shoe repair supply house and buy a sheet of thin soling material, which is like a heavy rubber, or use 'crepe' midsoling which is a foam rubber. Because they are used on shoe/boot repair, they are compatible with leather, adhesives, etc.

Kydex. It comes in different thicknesses. I would sandwich and glue it on both sides.