Ccastle27

Bosal With Headstall And Fiador Throatlatch

Hi All,

Completed my first Bosal project (a la Hought), attached a slit-braid headstall (a la Grant), with a Fiador throatlatch (also Grant).

Link to images: http://imgur.com/a/S1Avf

Bosal is 12-plait cowhide over rawhide core, headstall is latigo slit-braid with no metal fasteners. Throatlatch is 1/4" braided yacht-cord (purchased cord, then tied by me).

Hope you enjoy - would appreciate any/all comments on the proportions and impressions overall. I don't have access to a horse, so I am going by the guidelines in Gail's and Bruce Grant's books. Goal is to make a fancy set for a friend's wedding next year.

Thank you,

-Chris

looks alright. i'm not sure about the nylon...would look better if everything was leather.

i'd also recommend using two colors that have more contrast with each other...it was difficult to tell you used two different colors in your braid until i looked very closely.

Thanks LTC, the two leathers I started with have quite a difference in color, but when the leather dressing got on them it changed (darkened) the colors pretty dramatically.

Looks really good, nice straight braids. I kind of like the more muted contrast between the two colors. If I could find any fault with it the noseband may be a little long, hard to tell just looking at a pic. Nice job. Buck

Nylon cord has been acceptable for fiadors for quite awhile. When I put together a working set, I use matching nylon for Mecate and fiador. The really fancy sets have horsehair fiadors and then for the really special finishing touch, matching leather buttons on Mecate ends, fiador ends and heel knot.

i didn't say it wasn't "acceptable". i said it would look better if it was all leather.