Gonnate

Seam Turned In Or Out For Best Weatherproofing?

Hello,

First time of posting here for ages, but when last I visited I was always impressed by how helpful this group was!

I'm making a leather case for my small medieval harp, to be carried backpack style. I realise veg-tanned leather is unlikely to be waterproof, but aim to make it at least shower resistant.

I'm planning on normal style seams rathet than butt-jointed edges, for more strength, but can't decide whether it's better to turn the seam inwards or outwards to be more weatherproof. Inwards makes more of a channel for water to seep in if my stitching isn't tight, outwards leaves the edge showing, which may be more water-absorbent.

Any advice welcome, please.

I'll also welcome comments on favourite proofings/dressings which aren't horribly greasy, as it'll be worn when I have modern clothes too, while retaining a natural sort of look suitable for the historical appearance.

Thanks,

Richard.

I would say outward with a resolene finish...that's probably how I would do it. Not sure if that's best but....just my .02 cents.

Burnish smooth before any finish

Thanks to both for your quick replies; this sort of confirms what I thought, which is always cheering!

I was wondering whether it would be better still, or just excessive, to add a thin leather strip right over the edges, stitched down each side parallel to the seam stitches. I'm sure there's a proper name for this, but you'll know what I mean :-)

Hi Gonnate

Tossing this out for what it's worth, may spark an idea. When we put a leather cover on a Harley seat, we lap the pieces like roofing shingles, so the water runs across the seam rather than catching in the seam. Btw we put a good quality poly film between the leather and the padding. On raingear seams I use Atsko rain-guard silicone spray. They've been doing it since 1933, I like it.

Edited by Evo160K

Thanks, I'll think on possibilities of adapting this idea. A hidden poly film might indeed help.
The lapping idea's one I'd vaguely wondered about too, and while a harp's a rather different shape from a Harley saddle, with more planes meeting at points... unless you have very strange shaped saddles :-) ... there are possibilities here too, I think.

I was wondering whether it would be better still, or just excessive, to add a thin leather strip right over the edges, stitched down each side parallel to the seam stitches.

i think you've answered your own question. seriously, i was going to mention this, only on the inside.....if it were possible. i'm not sure what your seam configuration is. but, i'd say a strip over your seams would do the trick.......and, as you brits say, bob's yer uncle.

That's interesting - a strip on the inside? Would the water not creep into the outside seam then wriggle its way past the inside strip too once it was there? Or am I misunderstanding your suggestion?

I've now got several possible answers - I like this group! :-)

I think he means a strip on the outside covering the edge, like a wrap.

Use glue. They use Barge to glue shoe soles on. I have used the stuff to glue my wife's sandals back together, still holding.