danboy295

Avoiding Miss-Aligned Edges

Hi All,

I recently ran into some trouble with a Nerf holster I made. After lining up my edges and making sure they lined up as close to even as I could, I punched holes for my rivets. I then placed my rivets in the holes and capped them (without setting) to make sure everything was lining up correctly. It looked good, so I began to set my rivets. By the time I finished, somehow I ended up with edges that were misaligned. It is most notable near the top of the holster, see the included picture.

post-43578-0-53398000-1401386965_thumb.j

My best guess is when setting the bottom rivets, the force of setting the rivet moved the leather ever so slightly and it compouned as I set the rest of the rivets.

How can I avoid this in the future? Thanks in advance.

Use contact cement to put the edges together first, . . . then sand the edges perfectly smooth, . . . then punch the holes, . . . then put in the rivets.

Secondarily, . . . I find it always works best if the punch I use on rivets is just a tad smaller than the rivets. I like to put them in the hole, . . . turn the piece upside down, . . . and none of the rivets fall out.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yes, always glue first before you sew or rivet. The next part is loose the rivets, they are far weaker than sewing and will trash the finish on the gun. Always leave extra leather and then after it is sewn clean up the edge on a belt sander and you will have perfect edges.

I agree with the other posters contact cement is important. It may not make such a big deal, but punch out all the holes after it is glued down

put each rivet in and do each rivet at the same time - compared to one rivet all the way in and then another all the way in.

Like the same way you would tighten a car wheel bolt.

Edited by DavidL

Welders "tack" metal together to prevent warping from heat. The same idea can be used here. Set rivets on corners first to hold them steady then work your way back and forth skipping a hole or two at a time to keep everything lined up. I wouldn't worry about it too much though if you glue the pieces together first.

Also seen this happen when the rivet posts are too long for the thickness of leather. The post will actually bend to the side when setting and pull the top or bottom to one side or bunch up between rivets.

For this holster you could just trim the edges even and then re-finish.

If you are hand setting them they will move on you sometimes. The post might bend before they start to set. Pressing them helps avoid that somewhat. I use a 1 ton arbor press. And make sure the rivets are the right size. Too much sticking out and they will want to bend over and move. Glueing first would be the best start though.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

In regards to the rivets, I’m using medium length single cap rivets with 6/7 oz leather. I haven’t experienced any warping or misaligned rivets on this or previous projects, so I think the hardware is ok.

I will definitely be taking the gluing first with contact cement and riveting the corners first techniques into my next projects.

As for sewing, I finally have the materials ordered and delivered. I’ll try my hand at it as well. It would essentially be straight line on the side of the holster, can’t ask for an easier first project than that!