Is there a secret to dying with black. I make a lot of dog collars an leashes and when using black, it always bleeds. Any other color is ok but, black, not so good. What am I doing wrong ?

Vinegarroon is a nice black and it stiffens the leather just a bit then a clear coat .

2X on the Vinegroon!

I make it using a 5 gallon bucket, 4 gallons of plain vinegar and 4 or 5 packs of steel wool. Stir it everyday or so for a couple of weeks. You know it's ready when you dip a piece of veg tan and it turns black. The 1st batch I made, I went through the trouble of straining it, but now I just rinse off the residue. You could make less.

Wash the leather with baking soda water to remove the smell.

Oh, keep the lid on it after it stops bubbling. The 1st batch went bad/stopped working after the lid stayed cracked for several weeks.

Edited by Ken Cook

Everyone has their way of doing things, so I will add my 2C. worth. I make motorcycle bags, cuffs etc. If there is one color near and dear to a bikers heart it is black. So needless to say I do lots of dying. I have tried most of the available dyes and some bleed more than others. The one I have fallen in love with is Eco-Flo professional waterstain. It gives me the best black to date, and if you can remember to buff when dry it does not bleed at all. I usually apply a liberal amount using a sponge, work it in well in a circular motion, let dry, BUFF to a soft shine. Then I take Bick 4 leather conditioner with a little of the same dye added to it, not too much but make the mix Black. Stir it together well, and add a coat of that to the leather, when dry BUFF to a shine, and add the finish of your choice. Because it is black I use Goof Proof finish. You get a nice deep, vivid black ,and it does not bleed. I make belt bags for the ladies with it, and they don't want to end up with leather dye on their jeans, believe me! Not to say others don't have better ideas, but FWIW that's mine. Good luck!

Thanks I will try the stain first. I just dot understand the black dye.

Maybe I'm missing something, but honestly I'm wondering why you don't just buy black leather instead of messing around with dying it? Then you only have to black the edges. The tanneries do a much better job than anyone in a small shop can do regardless of what kind of dye you use. I hate dying leather about as bad as anything, so I stock as many colors/finishes as I need to.