Spindrift57

Uk/europe Equivalents

Several people have asked me if I could make more 'economical' versions of my work (bags and satchels in mostly 6-8oz veg tan) and so I have been thinking about buying a sewing machine.

I had already worked out that I need a walking foot machine which was confirmed by reading Wizcrafts brilliant post. Not being a great one for reinventing the wheel and having already found the pitfalls of trying to use a home sewing machine I'd really appreciate some guidance as to what machine to purchase in the UK.

Is there a European equivalent of the National 300 or Consew Wizcrafts recommends? Are American brands available in the UK? As I use relatively stiff leather should I be looking for a cylinder arm machine (the great video from Gfeller cases prompted this thought).

My plan is to start with a good 2nd hand machine and graduate to a new one once I'm proficient and/or sales materialise.

As always, any and all advice welcome - offers of free machines wouldn't go amiss either!