I'm new to Leather working and have started by making a couple of holsters. Over the weekend I made my first clip on for a small caliber auto. I want to attempt a few more clip on for small revolvers ( S &W J frame). I'm headed to Tandy's later this week for some things I need and thought I'd ask for some opinions on clips. When I picked up the clip in the picture I had no idea what I should be using, I just picked a clip off the display. I'm going to pick up several more clips and was wondering if anyone can offer advice on which style/size I should be using? I'm planning to make a couple of holster for the S&W J frame that will clip OWB and another for the little LCP that will clip OWB. Any advice on the best clips to use and best method to attach to holster. Thanks.

post-52423-0-13120500-1401721840_thumb.j

Sorry for the double post, please respond to this one. Thanks

For weapons that small, you might check over at the blue gun store. I'm sure they are available other places, too. This style (that loops back) would be a bit hard to accidentally "yank" off of the belt. This would be a concern for me if grabbing a gun that light in a hurry -- some of those little safety-pin looking spring clips can come right off, leaving you holding a holstered gun. And, since you seem to like the trigger covered, that might be bad in a rush situation ... say like two guys running at you with ball bats -- just ferinstance :)

http://bluegunstore.com/metal-holster-clip---lot-of-12---clip6-07-1-1-1.aspx

If, on the other hand, these holsters are for wearing at the range, maybe doesn't matter which clip ...

Edited by JLSleather

Thanks JLS, that does look to be more secure. I'll check for those at Tandy's later this week.

Nice holster

Thanks Greg. I'm just getting started, so I've much to learn. I'll clean up the sewing lines on my next one, but I was in a hurry to get this one completed so I could try it out. I made three pancake style with belt loops first, but I really like the convenience of the clip on. Think that's what I'll concentrate on for the next several projects. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tandy sells several different clips, . . . this being my favorite:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/1239-24.aspx

It will work for most holsters (especially on blue jeans) without actually going over the belt, . . . it grabs the seam underneath the belt.

That way the belt is not scratched up by the clip, . . . AND, . . . the clip is not showing. I use this for my tuckable little holsters.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-95082000-1401747022_thumb.jp

Dwight, that looks like the one I used and it came from Tandy. Thanks

I use the Tandy clips since there is a store very close to the house. Like Dwight said they are pretty secure over the seam of my pants. With the smaller framed side arms like my LC9 it carries very well and tight with no flopping around. My LC9 is fitted with a laser/

post-16157-0-07404300-1401939249_thumb.j

post-16157-0-76768100-1401939419_thumb.j

Edited by Fredo

We have several different styles of clips going from the more common like Tandy's has to the unique like JLS pointed out. Here is a link to all of them, you can click on each one to get bulk pricing based on Qty. http://bluegunstore.com/holsterclips.aspx JLS thanks for the mention!

Edited by RMB Custom Leather