Pablo27

Direction Of Carving

Can someone please help me to understand the following:

"You have an outside and inside border line for the meander If you are doing the outside borderline on the right side pulling to you than you would be carving clockwise. If you were doing the left outside borderline pulling straight to you, than you would be carving counter clockwise. "

For the life of me I cannot figure this out. It comes from a statement that if you cut the borders in different directions they will not be parallel. I am sure this is true, however I can't seem to figure out how they determine the "clockwise" or "counter-clockwise" direction. What defines this? Is anyone familiar with these terms? Thanks in advance.

Paul

Analog clocks have hands that spin around pointing to numbers so you can tell the time. The direction they turn is clockwise. Looking at the clock face with the 12 at the top, they move towards the right. Anti or counter clockwise is the opposite.

I am quite familiar with clocks and watches, the question was: if you are pulling your knife in a straight line toward you, how is that considered clockwise or counter-clockwise? There is no curve to a straight line. Surely someone here knows what I am talking about, I hope.

Can someone please help me to understand the following:

.............. if you cut the borders in different directions they will not be parallel. ...........

I believe the point they are talking about here is that when you are cutting border lines for a meander patttern, you need to cut both your inside, and outside lines going in the same direction. If you cut them going in opposite directions, they will not be as parallel because .....you will not be holding your blade guide the same in respect to the curve of the leather.

Human's are not perfect machines, and thus they will tend to either lead, or lag, a bit when cutting a border line. So.....if you cut them both going in the same direction, hopefully the lines will be closer to parallel because they will both be off slightly to the same degree.

However, if you cut them going in opposite directions......it will be as if one is cut, slightly leading the curve............and the other cut as, lagging the curve.....or vice versa.

Straight ? I think they simply misspoke there.

Thanks WyomingSlick, I thought that was the general message. I was just trying to wrap my mind around the explination they gave.