Someone wanted a hundert year old Western shoulder holster and he said make it look old!!!

All lined with 2-3 oz calf vegtan, outer leather is 3-4 oz veg tan tooling side.....

all is stitched and glued, the hardware is old brass and it will fit for an SA Ruger in 5.5 inch barrel.

I banged it, rubbed it, twisted it and even sanded it a bit....smeared black dye on it, whiped it back off and created dents and scratches on it.....evena bit of a sweat stain from the under-arm use is vissible...hohoo...I am not sure if I could done more....did not want to over do it....you be the judge.

Greetings

Jimbob

post-10280-0-10060600-1401981763_thumb.j

post-10280-0-77874900-1401981808_thumb.j

It's looks nice. Could look older though. You could throw it in the oven and let it dry out. 100 year old leather looks dry and brittle. I have a 60 year old leather Sears small utility case and it looks very old.

It does look like a nice rig, but I'm not sure it looks a "hundert" years old though. I do like it and think you did a good job on it.

It does look like a nice rig, but I'm not sure it looks a "hundert" years old though. I do like it and think you did a good job on it.

Ok....that's what I was afraid off.....not looking old enough...hmmmm....

I want it to be absolutly usable and sound....but still afraid to overdo it....oven sounds good idea, will it get to briddle...if I go to far then there is no reverse....lets see what I can do more.

Customer has not picked it up yet....maybe let him say if it needs more!?

I keep ya all posted.

thanks for the kind remarks!!

Jim

That's a really nice design. I like it. I'd be like you and afraid of over doing the aging. Don't change a thing!

I would sure hate to see that nice rig ruined. Tell the customer to just use it and it will look old after lots of use. :cowboy:

Customer just called, he will pick it up in a few hours.....so we will see what he says...haha...

I am not going to change it any more...

How did it go ? was your customer happy ? i like it

Ok.....he came....looked and almost fell over....haha...guess he liked it...thanked me three times and called me an hour later to tell me that I nailed it.

Sszzzzzzz.....that went well...haha

So off to new shores and foreign matters...seeking the adventure of even older looking rigs...I keep ya all posted.

James

Old or not, I really liked your work, and can appreciate your efforts on behalf of your client. Good, Good, Good !

I build a lot of aged guitars, and I know how difficult it is to mimic genuine wear and tear.

Good job, and its always great when the new owner is happy.

thanks to all of you....now on to a new job...Banjo case for dad....