post-38919-0-60755300-1402084914_thumb.j

Made my first western style hat straight from the Tandy "Hombre" pattern. It seems a bit tall to me, so I'm planning to make the next one with the crown about an inch shorter. This is my first hat using a wire in the brim so the wearer can shape the brim to their choosing (I wet molded my prior hat brims so the wearer was stuck with how I shaped it!) The one issue I ran into with adding the wire was that the wrap around bunched up a bit in places underneath. I think I can alleviate this by cutting some notches out to take up some of the slack that was generated when the edge was folded over. How many notches will I most likely need to smooth this out?

Thanks for any comments or feedback you can provide!

You did well on this hat, it looks good. Not sure about the number of notches you would need to cut, maybe one every inch.

Looks good. My answer to your notch question is "it depends". But here's some math that may help. Lets say your brim is 11" diameter and you roll over 1/4" to cover the wire. The diameter changes by 1/2", which means the circumference is reduced by about 1 1/2" ((Pi x 11") - (Pi x 10 1/2")). So your notches would need to add up to the 1 1/2". If you used equal sided triangles of the 1/4" hem depth for your notches, you'd need about five to make up the 1 1/2". Clear as mud? :dunno:

No notches skive the edge just a bit half inch or so then ease the edge by fourths or eigthly one at at a time and that will give you a nice clean edge try a scrap rad first hope this helps.

For karlpv, the math does help! I hadn't thought in terms of being able to calculate the circumference reduction needed. For samalan, I did skive the edge to make it easier to fold it over and glue it in place before sewing. I guess I'm not seeing how I can do that fold over and reduce the wrinkles without some notches. Can you go a little deeper with your explanation because it has my brain working overtime right now LOL!

Sorry divide the total circumference by 8 then work each eighth one at a time constantly pushing one way like your making a thousand little wrinkles practice on scrap with the same radius and length of one eighth leave some extra to hold on to.

Thanks Samalan! That makes more sense to me now. I will give that a try!

I just did a 3'' Rad just to be sure using 4 oz vegtan with 3oz liner stitched with 277 thread and it looks good no wrinkles hope it works for you if not i will send you a pic of the sample.

The hat and wearer look nice !