Can anybody point me towards a decent zigzag machine that I can use to sew the backs of my shoes together. Most of the leather is 8 to 9 oz but if i use buffulo and install the heel reinforcement it will ad up to about 12oz. I would like to use at least 69 thread and maybe up to 138 but it doesn't have to go that big.

thanks mark

Ok thanks wiz..

I've also been directed to look at a singer 143w2 and a couple other singers. and a pfaff 138.. Anybody know how wide of a stitch they will make and possibly how close the stitches can be made on any of these?

Edited by bluecarpenter

I once had a Pfaff 138 zig-zag machine. It was very quiet and smooth to operate. I remember that the width of the zig-zag wasn't very wide, in my estimation. I believe it maxed out at about 5 mm or so. The feed was good, although bottom only. They are great machines for cloth and sail repairs. The teeth on the bottom get a good grip and move the material along nicely.

The 138 was not very good at feeding soft garment leather, which is basically sticky on top. The thread capacity was #69, if I recall correctly. It didn't do what I wanted it to do and I traded it for something else.

That said, sailors love these machines for repairs to canvas or building new items made of sail cloth.

Ive also been looking at the sailrite ultra feed with walking foot. It I think would work good with the walking foot. And it also only makes a 5mm wide zigzag. just might be a bit noiser to operated and would also run 92 thread from what i've been told.

Ive also been looking at the sailrite ultra feed with walking foot. It I think would work good with the walking foot. And it also only makes a 5mm wide zigzag. just might be a bit noiser to operated and would also run 92 thread from what i've been told.

I thought you were looking for a zig-zag walking foot machine to sew shoe leather. Are you rather looking to sew sails and small upholstery items? If so, the Sailrite portable will work for those canvas and vinyl jobs.

wiz, I am. Ive got a post bed machine, flatbed machine and a cylinder bed machine but none of them are zigzag. Not even sure i need a walking foot in zigzag. 2 weeks ago i got to watch a Brother TZ1-B652 Sewing Machine being used to close the back of shoes up and its not a walking foot. It worked great, and she has been using it for a long time to close backs of shoes up. It did a nice zigzag withj 69 thread though i would like to use 92 thread not sure if it would handle 92. I just had a guy call me about a consew 99 that he thinks he is getting in next week sometime.