thenrie

Just Finished My First Efforts At Stamping

I just finished my first efforts at basketweave stamping. I decorated the pocket flaps and belt for a pair of batwing chaps I'm making for myself. While nobody is going to accuse me of being a professional leatherworker in rookie clothing, I'm not displeased with my first effort.

I learned more in that hour or so of actually doing it, than all the time I've spent poring over books, magazine articles, and forum posts! A lot of what I have read finally makes sense to me. I recognize that with time and practice I'll get the feel of how to keep the leather at the right moisture content (I understand now why saddlers let the leather case overnight now), and how to strike with the right weight - every time. I also learned that there is more to laying out the basketweave at a pleasing angle than just picking an angle (you can see my pattern running out at the top).

It was also my first ever try with a swivel knife. It's not as difficult to do as I had imagined. I guess the difficulty is not so much doing it, as in doing it well.

Overall, I'm excited that I finally dove in and just did it. I've put together a pretty good assortment of tools, and pretty good ones for the most part, in anticipation of learning saddlery, but I'm starting out with things like chaps, spur straps, sheaths, etc, in order to get myself competent to make a saddle that won't look like a waste of good money when I'm done!

post-23107-0-41228100-1402190743_thumb.j

Hi, Congrats they look very nice. I am a beginner and I hope to do as well. I guess you are right - just jump in.

A good start for sure, Tony!

Very nice Tony. Basketweave stamping is what got me excited about leatherworking. I hope I learn to do as well as you.