RoosterShooter

Rings Blue Guns. Coated Vs. Un-Coated?

So, I've found a source that enables me to order Blue Guns and have them a lot faster than if I were to order from my standard vendor.

The only downside is that the Blue Guns I can get faster are all of the 'Coated' variety.

What's the difference, and why couldn't I use them in leather holster making? When I started making holsters I was instructed to get 'un-coated' blue guns, but never asked why.

The only problem with the coated is that some of the blue may come off on your wet holster during the molding process. However if you take some rubbing alcahol or even a littleacetone ou can wipe most of the coating off, it take s a little extra time.

Yeah, it comes off easy. I got a Shield blue gun from my LGS as a loaner a good 2-3 months before you could buy them. It was coated and the coating came off easily with heat or pressure. Clean them well.

Also wear gloves when cleaning your blue guns or you will have blue hands for quite a few days...

The first blue guns I ordered were uncoated. Then I found a cheaper source that only offered coated blue guns. If left on, as mentioned above, some of the coating will come off while wet molding. Removing it isn't that hard, I just use denatured alcohol and a rag. But, it is kind of a PITA. Take 5 minutes. I just look at it as part of the mold prep process which includes cutting off the front sight, taping a dowel to help mold the sigh channel and filling in the trigger guard, filling in the safety at the "on" position for those models molded with the safety in the 'off" position, and partially filling in ejection port on those models with the cavernous ports. (I use DAP Plastic Wood. Easy to work with, dries hard as a rock. Easy to file/sand.) So, to me, removing the blue is just one of the steps in prepping.

OK> Thanks everyone.

Not sure if this helps you guys out or not but all our guns are ordered without the top coating unless of course they slip one in on us that has it. Despite whoever you get your Blueguns from they should be able to order them without top coating we just go ahead and do that for our customers unless they request otherwise.

They also started molding the"pre prepped" molds that has the blocked out trigger housing and site channel. They only offer the Glock 17 at this time but others are soon to follow. You can take a look here K-Series Guns .

FREE SHIPPING

Edited by RMB Custom Leather