BarABarLeatherworks

Help-Drawing Your Own Patterns

I do both, and i'm no artist. When I'm doing something with a lot of small features I'll do it by hand first. Scan it and trace over it on the computer. When I have a set of measurements it takes less time to smack it together on the computer and hit print than it does with pencil and paper. I don't knock one over the other. They both have their place.

IMHO - pencil and paper first. its cheaper than a image editor. Unless you use free software (I use illustrator which is not cheap). Then move it to a computer if you feel the need to digitize a pattern for consistency .

Remember, we all started off with crayons.

i downloaded inkscape last night, haven't really had a chance to play with it yet. can you add leaves and stumps and so on to lay out in a pattern? would it be possible to see some pics of the layouts you made, just so i can get an idea of what can be done with the program

I recently purchased a book entitled "Floral Pattern Drawing for the Artistically Impaired". The book not only teaches you how to layout a balanced drawing, it also gives you tips and instructions for flowers, scrolls, stems, and leaves. I think that this is what you're looking for on the art side of leather work. I bought my copy through Leather Wranglers Inc (www.leatherwranglers.com). Good luck, let me know what you think about it.

I love all the replies! Inkscape is my new best friend for compiling patterns with brands and such. I still draw out my patterns and I have jimmied up a pencil to feel like a knife and I trace my patterns a few times to get the feel of the pattern before I actually start carving and it helps a ton! It really does just come with practice and miles on your knife and pencil!

-H

Jim, been a we bit over a month since you announced it. Any word on if there will be an ebook version? I happy with PDF or kindle. Both are good to me as normal for kindle I have rights to the book and don't Owen it and those rights are not transferable. PDF is easy to copy and pass along. But most of your stuff you put out anyway. I would buy the paper book if it came with the ebook. I would turn around and sale it but I would buy it if that was the only wat for the ebook. I live in a vr, space for books I'd prioritized by need. I have some books not available on kindle that I have to hang on to or thru the leather library. But if it's available I get it digitally I have two file servers on my network so digital space is handy physical isn't. My movies go on one and everything else goes on te other. I have several 3tb USB drive that backup the NAS machines.

I sent an email to Leatherwranglers but haven't anything back from them yet. You may be on your own to scan the book and save as a pdf.

It doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. I have tried to contact the author but haven't anything back from them. For now, the only option is to contact Leatherwranglers and ask for "Floral Pattern Drawing for the Artistically Impaired". There is not much to the book. It's small enough to make yourself a pdf copy.

I just down loaded Incscape and it is really quite something, I am still struggling with it. I understand that it is not a drafting application, but it sure is annoying when I try and remove part of a line........Lots to learn, but it will ultimatly make my life easier.. Great suggetsion Joe

Just to add my two cents here. I'm a new member as well and I've found it easier to use paper mock ups first of any idea I have. I look at something and try to get some what of a basic dimension of what I want. I draw everything out on paper to get all the details like zipper position, stitching lines, folds and pockets etc.. I then figure what leather will work best for what the project calls for.

I bought a huge roll of contractors paper from home depot (about 8-12 bucks depending on paper weight) and it's been my best friend. I use clips or mini clothes pins to hold my mock ups together.

If you want you can message me and I can show you a few examples of how I do my templates from drawings.

I take reference photos of anything i can find (been asked to leave a couple of highstreet stores for looking too closely at their designs:-).

To draw a section, I cosse what general type of flower/ scroll work will fit the piece and then after allowing for seams and straps etc, I start blocking a general layout. I use normal wax paper coz you can erase a million times and it doesn't rip. basically if you start with an overall layout of where the design will go, it is quite easy to add the small elements like leaves and flowers and fill out the design.

Once all the scratching and rubing is done, i photocopy /scan the design to keep for later and then i work straigh from the wax paper and transfer it to the leather. something that I love about leather is that you can change you design even after you have laid down you initial design to the cased leather. it is very forgiving and i often find myself moving lines a little here and ther whilst I am actually cutting it in with the swivel knife.

So that is how I do it and, while it is not very exacting, i have never tried a really complex design so have not yet run into compounding erros by being out a few mm.

Just because I am sitting at my bench now, here's what i am working pon at the moment. just some practice scrap to see if I can over dye pen marks on leather.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Alex

Okay you seasoned leather workers I need some help!

I am a newer worker and just have been tracing patterns, but I am ready to start drawing my own but let me tell you, I am having a heck of a time!

I need some tips and tricks to help me. I understand the general idea, but I have such a hard time making everything flow together. I would love a computer program, but would love to see books or illustrations and hear what everyone has to say!

Thanks!

Hannah

I have had the most success by starting with small patterns and learning from my mistakes. I started with a zippo case, Then a few flask pouches, then some bracers. I drew up all of my own patterns because I wanted a custom fit, I just sit down with my T-Square, my tailors tape, and nice pencil with a good eraser, then I go to town measuring every angle of what I am working on. After my first pattern I learned a bit about seam allowance. My flask that I wrapped later helped me comprehend how important it is to measure the thickness of your leather. Working on a small scale first is less of a blow when you mess up, and the lessons you learn will stick with you. I would encourage you to just go for it, I spent a lot of time before this year intimidated by failing and wasting leather, but the bumps along the way only help you hone your craft.