Padenlopez

Buffalo Or Bison Leather Burnishing

Ive seen a lot of bison leather products like wallets and bags with the edges unfinished ive heard good things about it durability and softness but i really dont like the look of an unfinished edge. Im just wondering if theres a reason like it doesnt burnish correctly and thats why the edges are left unfinished or is it just a preference?

Im just wondering if theres a reason like it doesnt burnish correctly

If it's not veg tanned, you won't be able to burnish it properly. But I have seen some places selling veg tanned buffalo, so...maybe the stuff you saw wasn't made of veg tanned buffalo though.

You're gonna have to use edge kote or one of those heat burnishing tools if you don't want unfinished edges on your buffalo stuff. If you search on here you'll find all sort of threads already covering both.

I think in most cases the buffalo leather is chrome tanned and chrome tanned leather won't edge burnish very well. If it's veg tan buffalo edge burnishing shouldn't be a problem.