George B

First Avengers With Sewn Sight Channel

Have been reading about sewn front sight channels on Avenger style holsters for a week or so.

Tried my hand at a couple and these are the results.

Decided to switch over to sewn sight channels in my production whenever possible so any criticism or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

post-18937-0-63948000-1403448161_thumb.j

post-18937-0-32917300-1403448192_thumb.j

post-18937-0-63754300-1403448213_thumb.j

post-18937-0-67332800-1403448228_thumb.j

post-18937-0-85443100-1403448256_thumb.j

post-18937-0-49714100-1403448284_thumb.j

post-18937-0-08934300-1403448303_thumb.j

post-18937-0-13474100-1403448326_thumb.j

This is good looking stuff, George. As a self-professed pig, I can tell you that this year, you are the only person I have recommended (other than myself or this chubby girl here). Don't know if they purchased or not, but I did send people to view your holsters when I couldn't get to them here. We like your look.

That said, I would'a liked to see the brown model colored on the inside (and inside the belt loop) like the other. Personal preference is all. I like the way your reinforcement piece not only allows the stitched channel but ties together like it belongs there (doesn't look like an "add-on").

One question, if you don't mind (no offense taken if you'd rather skip it). Why the retention screw? Customer request, or standard for the gun model?

Oh, you might shave. Your avatar changed.

Yep didn't shave for this pic. Wife took it and decided I should use it. Of course after she forgets about it I will change it back.

Thanks for the support, I really appreciate any help I can get.

I didn't dye the inside of the brown one because it was the first one I ever made with the sewn sight channel, and honestly, I didn't think it would turn out.

The same for the tension screw, I wasn't sure how it would work out for retention with the sewn welts added to the pattern. Turned out I didn't need it.

I will however add one to the 1911 models I make for gun show sales since every one I put into the holster fit a little differently at the muzzle end of the barrel. It will just make it more sale-able to more people.

I started using a different style throat reinforcement after noticing that on the larger panel style reinforcements the front sight had to cross more stitches when drawn. And, the larger panel types really didn't offer any advantages. (In my humble view).

Once again, thank you.

George

I actually hadn't considered the sight crossing the stitching row, but you make a valid point!

I'll add your name to the growing list of people to measure my work against. Great work, great pictures. Well done!

Thank you for the kind words. All I do now are the sewn channels. Makes me feel strange having to form one. I had a customer order another Avenger who owns both one with and one without sewn channels. He said the new one has to be sewn. Told me it felt like the weapon came out on rollers with the sewn ones and he could feel the drag on the one with the formed channel. Same 1911 in both holsters.

Beautiful work. I have never had a holster finish turn out that nice, some day perhaps

Edited by Abram