lightingale

Saddle Making Workshops/courses In In North America?

For a couple of years now I've been wanting to learn how to craft saddles (and other tack, although the other stuff isn't quite as involved). I have the Stohlman saddle making books, but it seems wise to take an actual hands-on course to learn things "the right way".

I'm based in Canada, and would be willing to travel to other parts of Canada or to the USA to take a course/workshop to get started. I have a leatherworking friend who would come with me to take the course too. We would prefer a shorter, more intensive course, as we'd have to pay for accommodations, and can't be away from home for weeks at a time.

Has anyone had experience with such workshops? Any suggestions?

Montana horseman saddlemakeing school in Belgrade Montana has a 6 week course that I think a few members of this forum have been to they also have a really good website

Depends on what you mean by "learn to craft a saddle." In a 6 week course you'll skim through the basics of making one particular type of saddle, and that's about it. If you're just doing it for fun, or maybe to make another saddle later on your own, it would be OK, probably. But if you want to learn to make saddles professionally, no. That would be like a 6 week course in brain surgery.

Do you want to do this as a hobby or a profession?

I looked at a lot of saddle schools before I built my first saddle, but the bottom line is I did not have the time to attend one. I have a full time job already and was not looking for a new profession. If you are considering it as a hobby, I can offer my experience. However, I am a long ways from being a saddle maker and further from being a brain surgeon.

Randy

Montana horseman school ran for two months and cost a few grand when I went back in 2010.

Dale has two or three rooms in the shop that are included in the price.

And yes, he can teach you how to make saddles.