Doc Reaper

What Is The Thinnest Leather A Cb4500 Can Sew?

What is the thinnest Leather a CB4500 will sew! Can it sew leather to make biker chaps or should I use something different? This might be a question with only one outcome.

What is the thinnest Leather a CB4500 will sew! Can it sew leather to make biker chaps or should I use something different? This might be a question with only one outcome.

I sew chaps and zippers on jackets with my CB4500. I rethread it with #138 top and bottom, using a Schmetz #23 leather point needle. Back off the bobbin tension (should happen automatically if changing from previous #277) and top tension.

Let’s update this just a bit, it’s been just under 8 years, i founder a thinner needle plate (thanks Aussie) and now my Cowboy 4500 will sew whatever I need it to!

14 minutes ago, Doc Reaper said:

Let’s update this just a bit, it’s been just under 8 years, i founder a thinner needle plate (thanks Aussie) and now my Cowboy 4500 will sew whatever I need it to!

Ditto for my Cobra Class 4.  The narrow plate and feed dog handle the heavy and light leather projects without a lot of fiddling.  @Doc Reaper do you have any uses for the original plate/feed dog now that you're using the narrow setup?

On 1/13/2022 at 7:15 AM, TomE said:

Ditto for my Cobra Class 4.  The narrow plate and feed dog handle the heavy and light leather projects without a lot of fiddling.  @Doc Reaper do you have any uses for the original plate/feed dog now that you're using the narrow setup?

Sorry TomE, 

I just found this, it’s just sitting in the CB4500 ditty drawer (I seriously have to make a larger unit to store items in like drawers) why do you ask???

I bought the same plate/feed dog and was able to sew 2 layers of t-shirt material with #277 thread.  It was a test and that was the smallest thread I have.

The thread would have been thicker than the material!:lol:

Seriously, that is a pretty good effort.

Yeah it is.  Puckered a little but I did not change tension from my leather settings.  Did not pull material into machine.

Edited by PAMuzzle