belle5429

Leather Sewing Machines

I am looking in to purchasing a leather sewing machine, I just purchased a singer off eBay however it does not seem to be the quality I am looking for. I am planning on making equestrian leather goods for my newly started business. I was looking in to Alder machines and watched a video for one on Weaver and wow does it seem nice however with a 7500 price tag. I am looking for suggestions on what people are currently using and any added features that you may find helpful. I would be sewing leather up to 3/4 thick. Thanks!

You should get a Cobra class 4 from leather machine company.

Everyone has their favorite recommendation which is obviously the machine they own. That is called cognitive dissonance. However there are two highly recommended machines on this forum. The Cowboy 4500 and the Cobra Class 4..

Both are almost the identical machines with different paint and accessories. Call both companies and speak to Cowboy Bob or Cobra Steve as both are acknowledged as having excellent pre and after sales support. There are different packages on offer and shipping may be slightly more or less based on where you are, but either is your best solution.

Cya!

Bob

BDAZ,

Well said and I love the reference to cognitive dissonance in regards to leather machine preferences.

Bob Stelmack

I own neither a Class 4 nor a 4500 :cowgirl:

Cya!

Bob

I don't own a cobra 4. I have a cobra 17 and a Luberto Classic. My Luberto Classic will sew 3/4 inch leather all day long. I didn't recommend it because they're not being made any more and are harder to find than the 441 clones. Without a doubt I recommended Cobra Steve because I've done business with him and he's taken care of me. The Cowboy is probably a great machine, but I haven't done business with them. If I recommended them it would be a guess and not from personal experience.

I recommend the Cobra because I do have a class 4 and you can't ask for better customer service than from Steve et al. The first thing I sewed on it was a 10 oz chair cover doubled over, so therefore 20 oz. It will handle your tack easily. I've ordered things from Bob before too and he too has great service so either would probably work well. Cheryl

post-27490-0-47475300-1404079844_thumb.j

Edited by DoubleC

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, I am definitely looking in to the Cobra 4 or the Cowboy 4500. I do plan on calling and talking to them about both machines. My plans are to make English bridles, girths, leather halters, specialty brow bands and bags. How is either machine on smaller things such as stitching on an English Bridle. I just want to make sure that these machines are not only suited for saddle making and heavier leather?

Do a search on You Tube for Cowboy 4500 and Cobra Class 4..

Cya!

Bob

Hi were hou from?

Will try to help

Thanks

If you are wanting to make English tack, you may have a bit of a problem with the Cowboy. I have a 4500, and for the most part, I like it. But of all the machines I have and have ever used, this machine loses the race for being able to sew close. The foot is just too wide, even using the left or right toe instead of the standard harness foot. My all time favorite was a Randall. I needed very little room to sew between a row of spots and the edge of the leather. It was almost unbelievable to look at the finished product and know that I had sewn after the spots had been set, and not before. Girths, halters and bags won't be a problem on the Cowboy, but English bridles and browbands are typically pretty fine, and I'd bet you'll have trouble. The bridles are often sewn by hand anyway on the high end stuff. I'd be interested myself to hear from anyone making English tack and what they sew on.

I don't make much stuff, but I repair it all. Big Sioux is right on, I use an Adler 205-370 and the feed dog moves everything so much you can't do an accurate job close to the edge on fine work. Even sewing a doubled noseband on a halter I don't bevel the bottom edge 'til after I've sewn it. But it will do everything but the bridle work. Maybe they can set it up so that it will do it for you ( I assume you want to do raised stuff and try to compete with Edgewood). My "bitter old man" suggestion would be to do repairs for a while and you can see what works and what doesn't and why. Pricewise, it's hard to compete with homeless, untouchable, Indian children's handstitching or Edgewood and their inappropriate leather. I charge $10 for a properly made slide keeper and am probably losing at that price. Sorry to ramble on so, Big Sioux Saddlery is correct. Good Luck, Kevin

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. I was wondering how well it would work with English raised leather, which I may have to do by hand anyways. I would like a machine for halters and various other equipment in the future and definitely will consider the cobra or the cowboy.

I dont own a seeing machine but after all the research and reviews when I do buy a Machine it will be the Cobra class 4