FlHobbyist

Feibings White Dye - What Is It Souluble In?

I did a quick forum search and did not see any reasonable answers. I have a bottle of it and I'm going to give it a try. Here is what I know:

1) It is not acrylic, so it won't be soluble in water

2) I doesn't smell like alcohol dye, so it's doubtful it will be soluble in alchol

3) It is distributed in glass rather than plastic. Some thing tells me that they are distributing in glass because whatever the base is will dissolve plastic. This also bolsters the argument that the dye base is not water or alcohol.

4) Finally, after opening it, it smells like turpentine, though my sniffer could be off.

I want to give it a go, and while there are reports that it isn't very good, there are also numerous reports that it is acrylic or alcohol which it isn't.

Has anyone had success with the white dye that comes in a glass bottle that smells like turpentine?

Thanks,

Bob

Addendum: I searched a little more and it looks like the answer is paint thinner in this post http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29144

Anyone else have better advice for the white dye that comes in a glass bottle that smells like turpentine?

Edited by FlHobbyist

Gray and white dye appear to be of the same type .. They both come in glass and smell like a$$. However, the gray goes on fairly nicely with a brush using just one or two coats. I just bought some white for an upcoming project, and after trying it on a test piece ... It's a pain in the neck. White dye takes many many coats to get any kind of coverage with a brush or dauber. Each successive coat seems to mess with the previous one, but maybe I was rushing things and not allowing enough time to dry. If I end up using it for my project, it will be sprayed on. I may just go with a thinned acrylic paint.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I will also report my experience when I get to it. I'm pretty sure my experience will be the same as yours, but since I have a bottle of it, I'm going to give it a go.

Bob

Same experience as Bill. Horrible smell and terrible coverage.

I don't know this for sure, but I believe the only application for this crap would be to touch up factory dyed leather items, like the old style white Nurses shoes.

But, maybe one of the more experienced folks will know for sure.

Its like Yellow 4 coats to get nice color but does need to dry between coats for best coverage.

In my experience "white" Fiebings is a waste of money and time. I suggest Angelus white Acrylic paint as it's made specifically for the shoe industry and is as flexible and strong as paint can be in leather. I've painted whole sets of armor with no issues.

treybecca - do you know or have experience with that? I'm curious if the Angelus white paint should go on naked leather or over something. And if it should be diluted or just used straight. For nice long wear.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm proceeding with my project, so far I've air brushed on 2 layers, and it is pretty apparent to me, it is going to take many more layers. It's to early too say if I'll ever use it or recommend it. It is a real pain to use because it isn't an alcohol based dye, but rather mineral spirits/turpentine based dye/paint. It has a very strong smell, and it probably isn't advisable to huff too much of it.

On the other hand, if it is really a white dye, it may be worth the effort.

Here is an earlier thread wherein the author had about the same experience as me, but he wrote a better post.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29144

Edited by FlHobbyist

Update: I've decided to abandon this effort. This white dye is just to harsh to work with. The ventilation in my work room is not up to the task of getting rid of the fumes, and I'm guessing the fumes are fairly toxic. Worse, the solvent in it burns my flesh. So to use it safely, one would need protective clothing, adequate ventilation, and probably a respirator. At this time, that is more trouble than it is worth.

At some point in the future, I'm going to try white shoe polish in combination with nu leather(?) repair goop and see how that works. If it doesn't, I'll continue using white acrylic paint and hoping for the best.

Thanks again to everyone who participated.

Bob

Thanks for giving it a go, Bob. It is appreciated. I think I'm going to stick to acrylic for whites from now on.

Bill

I enjoyed this and the other thread linked. One thing, and this may be common knowledge (the linked thread is quite old), Fiebings Pro Oil can be shipped to Cali by ST Leather. Sorry,I know it's off topic,but in case anyone didn't know...