Dirakah

Design On Sketch Book Cover

hello everyone,

i´m just getting started with leatherworking and thought i would make a bookcover as my first project. i´ve seen this interessting wallet here https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/191912742/portemonnaie-herren-dragon-schwarz-leder?ref=related-2 and thought i might do something in that direction as coverart if it isn´t too dificult, wondered how this outer design was achieved and how it is called. would appreciate any tips or help on the matter

greetings Dirakah

Well, Dirikah, you've certainly chosen a difficult starting point!

That is a custom leather "sculpture" made with pre-dyed chrome-tanned leather that is "bunched" up and laid on a pre-cemented back piece. The cement holds the folds in place. After that the piece of sculpted leather is treated as one panel of the wallet/card holder.

IMHO, you'd be far better off starting out with a more standard approach in which case you would learn what you need to know to construct a useable, durable leather project. You can get artistic when you've got the basics down pat.

But that's just me. :)

Michelle

thanks so much for the info, i guess i´ll probably do just a little carving for the beginnig then, maybe i´ll give that a try in due time ;)